By Eddie Jones
Fundamental Doctrine of the Original New Testament Church
The original church was built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ Himself being the chief corner stone (Eph. 2:20). The prophecy of the Old Testament prophets and the teachings of Christ were fulfilled in the Apostles’ Doctrine which became the doctrine of the original New Testament Church. Compare the following:
- Faith in God and His Word: 2 Chr. 20:20; Isa. 43:10; Hab. 2:4.
- Repentance to God with Divine Forgiveness: Pro. 28:13; Eze. 14:6; Hos. 14:2; Mat. 3:2.
- Water Baptism by Immersion in the Name of Jesus Christ for the Remission of Sins: Gen. 17:10-14; Exod. 30:18-20; Mat. 3:11; 1 Cor. 10:2; 1 Pet. 3:20. (These scriptures refer to Old Testament types of water baptism, which are now fulfilled in the apostles’ doctrine.)
- Holy Spirit Baptism Evidenced by Speaking in Tongues: Heb. 9:3,8 (This scripture refers to an Old Testament type of the Holy Spirit Baptism.); Isa. 28:11,12; Eze. 36:26; Joel 2:28.
- One God Manifested in Christ: Deut. 6:4; 32:39; Isa. 7:14; 9:6; 43:10,11; 44:8,24; 45:18,22; Mal. 2:10.
- Standards of Holiness: Lev. 19:2; Deut. 22:5; Psa. 29:2; Isa. 35:4-8; 59:19; Jer. 23:6; 50:2; Luke 1:74,75.
- Divine Healing: Exod. 15:26; Psa. 34:19; 103:2, 3; Isa. 53:5; Mal. 4:2.
- Faith in God and His Word: Mark 1:15; 16:16, 17; John 3:16; 7:38, 39.
- Repentance to God with Divine Forgiveness: Mark 1:15; 2:17; Luke 13:3, 5; Rev. 3:19.
- Water Baptism by Immersion in the Name of Jesus Christ for the Remission of Sins: Mat. 3:13-16 (This scripture refers to Christ’s baptism by John, to fulfill all righteousness, which was an Old Testament type now fulfilled in the apostles’ doctrine.); Mat. 28:19, 20 (This scripture is fulfilled in Acts 2:3\8.); Mark 16:16; Luke 24:47; John 3:5.
- Holy Spirit Baptism Evidenced by Speaking in Tongues: Mark 16:17; Luke 24:49; John 3:5; 7:37-39; 14:26; 16:7; Acts 1:4-8.
- One God Manifested in Christ: Mark 12:29; John 8:24-27; 10:30; 14:9-11.
- Standards of Holiness: Mat. 5:8, 16, 20; 7:14; 23:26; John 16:8.
- Divine Healing: Mark 9:23; 11:24; 16:17, 18; John 14:12-14.
- Faith in God and His Word: Acts 8:12; 15:7; 16:31; Rom. 1:16, 17; 10:14-17; 1 Cor. 1:21; Heb. 11:6; James 2:17, 20.
- Repentance to God with Divine Forgiveness: Acts 3:19; 17:30; 26:20; 2 Car. 7:9, 10; 2 Pet. 3:9; 1 John 1:9.
- Water Baptism by Immersion in the Name of Jesus Christ for the Remission of Sins: Acts 2:38; 4:12; 8:16, 36-39; 10:48; 19:5; 22:16; Rom. 6:3,4; Eph. 4:5; Col. 2:11,12; 3:17; 1 Pet. 3:20,21.
- Holy Spirit Baptism Evidenced by Speaking in Tongues: Acts 2:1-4; 10:44-48; 19:1-6; Rom. 5:5; 8:9-11; 14:17; Titus 3:5.
- One God Manifested in Christ: 2 Cor. 5:19; Eph. 4:4-6; Phil. 2:11; Col. 1:13-15; 2:9, 10; 1 Tim. 3:16; James 2:19; Rev. 1:8; 4:2.
- Standards of Holiness: Rom. 12:1, 2; 13:9; 1 Cor.
3:17; 11:3-15; 2 Cor. 5:17; 6:14-18; 7:1; Gal.
5:22, 23; 1 Thes. 5:22; 1 Tim. 2:9; Titus 2:12; Heb. 12:14; 1 Pet. 3:3, 4; 1 John 2:15, 16.
- Divine Healing: Acts 3:6; 8:5-7; 19:10-12; 1 Cor. 12:7-11; Heb. 13:8; James 5:14,15; 1 Pet. 2:24.
Jesus Christ commissioned the apostles: “Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved . . .” (Mark 16:15, 16). Christ made it clear that everyone must believe the gospel preached by the apostles in order to be saved. As Jesus sent His apostles into the world, He prayed for them to be sanctified through the truth, and He prayed for those who will believe on Him through THEIR WORD (apostles’ word) that they all may be one (John 17:17-21). “And they (New Testament believers) continued steadfastly’ in the APOSTLES’ DOCTRINE . . .” (Acts 2:42). The apostles’ doctrine must be obeyed by all believers today who desire to build upon the original foundation of the New Testament Church.
“Then Peter said unto them, REPENT, and BE BAPTIZED every one of you IN THE NAME OF JESUS CHRIST for the remission of sins, and YE SHALL RECEIVE the gift of THE HOLY GHOST” (Acts 2:38). Paul said, “Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us, (how?) by the washing of regeneration (water baptism), and renewing of the Holy Ghost” (Titus 3:5).
WHY OBEY DOCTRINE?
- It is God’s Word! “ALL SCRIPTURE is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for DOCTRINE, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness” (2 Tim. 3:16).
- It is Essential to Salvation! “TAKE HEED unto thyself, and unto the DOCTRINE; continue in them: for in doing this thou shalt both SAVE THYSELF, and them that hear thee” (1 Tim. 4:16).
BEWARE OF FALSE DOCTRINE
Jesus warned, “Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are raving wolves. Ye shall know them by their fruits . . . A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit… Not everyone that saith unto Me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven . . .” (Mat. 7:15-23). “In vain they do worship Me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men” (Mat. 15:9). Paul informed, “Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils; speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron” (1 Tim. 4:1,2). “For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; and they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables (false doctrine or no doctrine at all)” (2 Tim. 4:3, 4). (Also see 2 Tim. 3:1-5.) Paul admonished, ”Be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive” (Eph. 4:14,15). Paul also warned, “Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ” (Col. 2:8).
NO OTHER DOCTRINE
Paul declared, “… Teach NO OTHER DOCTRINE” (1 Tim. 1:3). “But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed” (Gal. 1:8). (Also see Rom. 16:17.) John instructed, “If there come any unto you, and bring not THIS DOCTRINE, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God’s speed . . .” (2 John 1:10, 11) “We (the apostles) are of God: he that knoweth God heareth us; he that is not of God heareth not us. Hereby know we the SPIRIT OF TRUTH, and the SPIRIT OF ERROR” (1 John 4:6).
“Ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free” (John 8:32).
The above article, “Why Doctrine is Important” was written by Eddie Jones. The article was excerpted from Jones’ book Don’t Get Hung Up On Doctrine.
The material is copyrighted and should not be reprinted under any other name or author. However, this material may be freely used for personal study or research purposes.
1 thought on “Why Doctrine Is Important (Entire Article)”