10 REASONS – 10 WAYS
BY JILL N. FRIEDMAN
People Leave the Church
Or change churches (modern-day backsliding)
1. Fear tribulation, want to go hide. Fear Deuteronomy 7:18-21; Revelation 6:16-17.
2. Too many _________ (kids, troubles, activities, etc.) Undisciplined life Matthew 13:7; Mark 4:19.
3. Want to go where “action” is; bigger church, better church, closer church, (instead of blooming where planted, realizing it is Jesus that makes the Church big..). Pride Zechariah 4:10; Matthew 18:20.
4. Offended by loss of position, lack of position, desire for position. Pride (Saul) I Samuel 18:11; 20:31.
5. Longstanding grudges against… pastor, other saints, or lost family. Bitterness (Korah) Numbers 16.
6. Can’t serve 2 masters. Lost out to wrong desire. Sin, Lukewarm (Reuben, Demas, Balsam) Numbers 22-24.
7. Want, seeking, or to find husband, wife, love; afraid you won’t find it in the church. Lust of Flesh (Dinah, Samson) Deuteronomy 7:3-4; Judges 14:3.
8. Never got close to Jesus in the first place. (Don’t know Him well enough to stay.) Unbelief (Simon the Sorcerer, the Seven Sons of Sceva.) Luke 8:12-13.
9. Always looking back, don’t believe Jesus will take you all the way to the promise land, or afraid what you’ve had (back in Egypt,) is better than what He has in store for you (heaven). Unbelief, lust of the eye (Lot’s wife, Children of Israel) Numbers 14:3; Exodus 32:3 1.
10. Impatient. Fixers. Want “it” now or else. Don’t follow plan of God. Want to run things your way, or the highway. Everybody’s wrong but you. Will not put up with… pastor, saints, holiness standards, state of church. Impatience (Miriam, Absalom, Jezebel) James 3:1; Numbers 12 & 16, Luke 21:19.
To Never Leave the Church
1. Resolve never to argue with pastor or saints or leave until you’ve totally prayed through. You never will argue then! Mark 4:39.
2. Total submission, total obedience to Jesus, (God’s Word,) perfect love, no fear, only faith, overcoming by the blood of the Lamb and the word of our testimony. Revelation 12:11.
3. Deny self (discipline). Be a good soldier. Put on whole armor of God. Readiness. Wise virgins. Ready to launch praise (David,) or singing praise, (Jehoshaphat,) or marching forward, (praise war!) in obedience (Joshua). Prayer, fasting, keep self pure. (Ephesians 6:12).
4. Strive for excellence. Like Daniel, David and many others, really follow God’s Word and plan. Be pure, be faithful, never give up. I Corinthians 9:25.
5. Always be thankful. Write memorials and journals about God’s goodness and daily loading us with benefits. Bethel stones of remembrance. Appreciate everybody. Little children who come, in need themselves, yet try to help. I Thessalonians 5:18.
6. Take up cross. Daily live the crucified life – looking to Jesus, the Author and Finisher of our faith. Put God first in all you say and do. Luke 9:23.
6. Repent often. Ask Jesus to anoint your eyes with eye salve. Buy gold tried in the fire and white raiment to wear. Like David, ask Jesus to purge you and know you and give you a heart after Him. Like Isaiah, ask Him to place a coal on your lips. Keep a watch at the door of your mouth. Never give up. Keep small. James 3:2; Revelation 3:19.
8. Check out that loving counsel Jesus gave to the churches in Revelation. Maybe it would help you too! Revelation 2 & 3.
9. Believe Jesus. Study and stand on His Word. It will never fail. He will never leave you. Don’t leave Him out of any day. In every major choice go to Him first. Matthew 6:33.
10. Know Jesus in the fellowship of His suffering, (repentance,) conformable to His death, (baptism in Jesus’ Name,) and in the power of His resurrection (Holy Ghost)! Watch, pray, be holy, read your Bible, pray every day – and you’ll know, know, know! Philippians 3:10: II Timothy 1:12.
Editor’s Note: Jill Friedman, though comparatively young, is one of our “senior saints, ” having faithfully attended New Life since the early-70’s. She is our nursery class teacher, plays the saxophone, and is a delightfully creative puppeteer.
THE ABOVE MATERIAL WAS PUBLISHED BY THE APOSTOLIC WRITERS DIGEST, MARCH 2003, PAGE 8.
THIS MATERIAL IS COPYRIGHTED AND MAY BE USED FOR STUDY & RESEARCH PURPOSES ONLY.