Because of the Angels
I Cor. 11:10
1. “That you keep the ordinances, as I delivered them unto you.”
a. Tradition: a handing down or on of Apostolic Teaching.
b. II Thessalonians 2:15 Therefore, brethren, stand fast, and hold the traditions which ye have been taught, whether by word, or our epistle. We ought not be afraid or ashamed of the word ‘tradition’ or ‘ordinance.’
2. Head: authority or origin (Christ–>Man–>Woman).
3. Man–image and glory of God. Woman–glory of man.
4. Man–not to be covered. Woman–to be covered.
5. Hair–is definitely the covering spoken of here.
6. Cover, what? keep uncovered, what?
7. Man–not to cover the image and the glory of God.
8. Uncut hair on the man would be considered a covering (Verse 14).
9. Woman–to cover man’s glory (Verse 15).
10. Notice it does not say that she is the image of the man–just the glory of the man.
11. So the ordinance is: Man, uncovered (Keep his hair cut). Woman,covered (Keep her hair uncut).
12. When the hair is uncut and long it is considered a covering.
13. If man covers–he dishonors his head (origin).
14. Absolom–dishonored his head. (Rebellion against kingship, father,the one who restored him to the kingdom).
15. If woman UNCOVERS man’s glory, she dishonors her head (origin).
16. Old Testament instances of the woman being uncovered.
a. Deuteronomy 21:11 And seest among the captives a beautiful woman, and hast a desire unto her, that thou wouldest have her to thy wife; Deuteronomy 21:12 Then thou shalt bring her home to thine house, and she shall shave her head, and pare her nails; (He is her captor).
b. Numbers 5:18 And the priest shall set the woman before the LORD, and uncover the woman’s head, and put the offering of memorial in her hands, which is the jealousy offering: and the priest shall have in his hand the bitter water that causeth the curse: (She has damaged his glory).
17. Man’s glory must be covered in the presence of God.
18. “Because of the angels.” (verse 10).
19. Paul throws it out there like we are suppose to know what he’s talking about.
20. Look how casual he words it.
21. Many different interpretation:
a. Saw the daughters of man – lust
b. cause them to riot
c. visiting preachers.
22. It is plain–the woman is to keep her hair uncut in order to provide a covering and that covering covers the glory of man.
23. When she prays or prophecies–meaning: in the presence of God. (Not just for then, but when involved in spiritual functions–judge in yourselves).
a. Comely: pleasing in person, Suitable; becoming.
24. Because of the angels.
25. What do they have to do with it? “Because of the Wilkersons.”
a. would have to find out what part they play in the situation.
26. Like saying to a visitor to a factory, “wear this badge–because of the door keepers.”
a. “stop at the red light–because of the police.”
27. In other words, when you understand their position or function it makes the statement clear.
28. It is for the office or position of the angels that she is to be covered.
29. To understand any form of government one must understand it from top to bottom (not visa-versa).
30. Jacob saw something of this unseen process.
31. Throughout the Bible the angels are seen as:
b. Guardians–Matt. 18:10, Eden, Angels charge over thee.
c. Unseen witnesses in covenants–Ec 5:4-6, I Tim 5:21.
d. Agents of God’s judgment.
32. Judgment always against man’s glory.
a. Perilous times–1st mentioned–lovers of them own selves.
33. Why do the angels care? (rejoice–they rejoice to see man humble himself before God).
34. Tower of Babel (monument to man–let us make a name for ourselves).
35. Nebuchadnezzar–“by the might of my power, and for my majesty.”
36. Herod–Acts 12:21-23.
Acts 12:21 And upon a set day Herod, arrayed in royal apparel, sat upon his throne, and made an oration unto them.
Acts 12:22 And the people gave a shout, saying, It is the voice of a god, and not of a man.
Acts 12:23 And immediately the angel of the Lord smote him, because he gave not God the glory: and he was eaten of worms, and gave up the ghost.
37. Nothing brings swifter judgment from God’s angel than man glorifying himself.
38. 1 Corinthians 1:29 That no flesh should glory in his presence.
a. Verse 31: “That, according as it is written, he that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.”
39. The fight of the century–Angel and Jacob. (a change of name).
40. Angels rejoice–when man gives God the glory (Paul and Barnabas–Jupiter & Mercury).
41. When a woman cuts her hair (uncovers herself) she exposes man’s glory in the presence of God. (judge in yourselves).
42. Notice that the angel is mentioned only in relation to the woman,
43. Angels have never ministered to or for man’s glory.
45. Angels can’t see what is inside–covered.
a. Tablets of the Law.
c. Aaron’s rod.
46. Outside more important and far more precious than its contents.
a. it was inside–that it might be covered.
47. People in that time were more familiar with the Temple than they were with the Tabernacle (there were many differences).
48. 1 Kings 6:23 And within the oracle he made two cherubim of olive tree, each ten cubits high. 1 Kings 6:24 And five cubits was the one wing of the cherub, and five cubits the other wing of the cherub: from the uttermost part of the one wing unto the uttermost part of the other were ten cubits.
1 Kings 6:25 And the other cherub was ten cubits: both the cherubim were of one measure and one size.
1 Kings 6:26 The height of the one cherub was ten cubits, and so was it of the other cherub.
1 Kings 6:27 And he set the cherubim within the inner house: and they stretched forth the wings of the cherubim, so that the wing of the one touched the one wall, and the wing of the other cherub touched the other wall; and their wings touched one another in the midst of the house.
1 Kings 6:28 And he overlaid the cherubim with gold.
1 Kings 6:29 And he carved all the walls of the house round about with carved figures of cherubim and palm trees and open flowers, within and without.
1 Kings 6:32 The two doors also were of olive tree; and he carved upon them carvings of cherubim and palm trees and open flowers, and overlaid them with gold, and spread gold upon the cherubim, and upon the palm trees.
1 Kings 6:35 And he carved thereon cherubim and palm trees and open flowers: and covered them with gold fitted upon the carved work.
49. 15′ tall with 15′ wingspread–Holiest of Holies.
50. Walls, veil, folding door–all with cherubim.
51. Revelation 14:6 And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people, Revelation 14:7 Saying with a loud voice, Fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come: and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters.
Revelation 16:8 And the fourth angel poured out his vial upon the sun; and power was given unto him to scorch men with fire.Revelation 16:9 And men were scorched with great heat, and blasphemed the name of God, which hath power over these plagues: and they repented not to give him glory.
52. 1 Peter 4:16 Yet if any man suffer as a Christian, let him not be ashamed; but let him glorify God on this behalf.
1 Peter 4:17 For the time is come that judgment must begin at the house of God: and if it first begin at us, what shall the end be of them that obey not the gospel of God? (the surest way to displease God is to exalt one’s self).
53. Just him and her–she sees the image and glory of God–He sees the covering.
54. Church–“looking unto Jesus.” (to Phillip–how sayest…).
55. Jesus–sees the covering. (death angel–when I see the blood..).
56. Mary –John 12:3 Then took Mary a pound of ointment of spikenard, very costly, and anointed the feet of Jesus, and wiped his feet with her hair: and the house was filled with the odour of the ointment. (Man’s glory was kept covered and her hair was involved in sincere devotion to the glory of God).
57. Genesis 24:65 For she had said unto the servant, What man is this that walketh in the field to meet us? And the servant had said, It is my master: therefore she took a vail, and covered herself.
(Bride has made herself ready).
58. The great high priest ministering at the mercy seat.
b. Mitre–“Holiness unto the Lord.”
c. Seamless robe.
d. washed. (baptism in Jordan).
e. anointing oil (Dove)
f. Blood. (ear, thumb, toe).
59. Angels expect to see nothing but Jesus Christ in the Holy of Holies. The glory of man must not be seen (saw no man save Jesus only).
60. It is for this cause that the woman have power on her head–because of the angels.
This material was provided to the Apostolic Information Service by Rev.
James Groce of Cantonment, FL.