By: T.R. Kelley
BIBLE LESSON: BENEFITS OF FELLOWSHIP WITH GOD
I JOHN 1:3 – “THAT WHICH WE HAVE SEEN AND HEARD DECLARE WE UNTO YOU, THAT YE ALSO MAY HAVE FELLOWSHIP WITH US: AND TRULY OUR FELLOWSHIP IS WITH THE FATHER, AND WITH HIS SON JESUS CHRIST.”
FELLOWSHIP = PARTNERSHIP, JOINT VENTURE, AGREEMENT. Thus, fellowship with God is a partnership, a joint venture, and an agreement with God!
NOTE: In the heart of God there has always been the desire for fellowship with His creation.
1. He came to fellowship with Adam & Eve – GENESIS 3:8.
2. He asked Moses to build a tabernacle so that He might dwell among His people – EXODUS 25:8-9.
3. When Solomon built the Temple, the Glory of God filled the house – II CHRONICLES 7:1-3.
4. TODAY – GOD DWELLS IN MEN AND WOMEN.
I Cor. 3:16-17 – “WE…ARE THE TEMPLE OF GOD…”
I. WHEN ONE IS BORN AGAIN, GOD RECEIVES A THREEFOLD RESPONSE:
1. PSYCHOLOGICAL – The born again man or woman will change his or her lifestyle to accommodate his new FELLOWSHIP WITH GOD. Man worships God PHYSICALLY with praise and with the way he lives.
II COR 5:17 – “HE IS A NEW CREATURE… OLD THINGS PASSED AWAY… ALL THINGS NEW.”
2. EMOTIONAL – The Holy Ghost brings emotional feelings of PEACE & JOY! ROM 14:17 – “RIGHTEOUSNESS, PEACE, AND JOY IN THE HOLY GHOST…” (SEE ALSO: I PETER 1:8).
NOTE: WE ARE NOT TO FELLOWSHIP WITH SIN; DARKNESS; UNRIGHTEOUSNESS! (SEE EPH 5:11; II COR 6:14)
REMEMBER – Fellowship with God is being led by the Spirit of God. ROMANS 8:7-14 shows us the benefits of the Spirit when we allow ourselves to be led by the Spirit.
II. DAVID, IN PSALM 91, SAW THE PLACE OF FELLOWSHIP WITH GOD AS ONE OF: 1. SAFETY – VERSE 2
2. PRIVACY – VERSE 7
3. INTIMACY – VERSE 14
NOTE: IT IS THE PRESENCE OF GOD THAT MAKES A PLACE HOLY!!!
READ: PSALM 85:5-10
DAVID SAID: “WILT THOU BE ANGRY WITH US FOREVER?”
REMEMBER – Moses was told to build a “sanctuary for God.” (Ex. 25:8-9) TODAY, WE ARE ABLE TO ENTER BEYOND THE VEIL – this is so we can fellowship with God!!! (Hebrews 6:19, 8:13)
III. BENEFITS OF FELLOWSHIP WITH GOD
1. WARMS THE HEART – LUKE 24:32
“AND THEY SAID ONE TO ANOTHER, ‘DID NOT OUR HEART BURN WITHIN US, WHILE HE TALKED WITH US BY THE WAY, AND WHILE HE OPENED TO US THE SCRIPTURES?'”
2. LEAVES ITS IMPRESS UPON THE LIFE – ACTS 4:13
“NOW WHEN THEY SAW THE BOLDNESS OF PETER AND JOHN, AND PERCEIVED THAT THEY WERE UNLEARNED AND IGNORANT MEN, THEY MARVELLED; AND THEY TOOK KNOWLEDGE OF THEM, THAT THEY HAD BEEN WITH JESUS.”
IV. THE RESULTS OF FELLOWSHIP WITH GOD
1. It brings PROTECTION – Psalm 91:4
God gave Israel a cloud by day and fire by night – Ex. 13:21-22.
He saved them from the Egyptian army – Ex. 14:23
He gave Israel victory over Amalek – Ex. 17:8-15.
NOTE: READ ISAIAH 59:19
2. It brings DELIVERANCE – Psalm 91:4
GOD GIVES HIS ANGELS CHARGE OVER US TO KEEP & DELIVER US!
look at Daniel in the lions den – Dan. 6:20-22
Peter was imprisoned, but found deliverance by an angel – Acts 12:1-11
3. It brings ASSURANCE – Psalm 91
we will not be afraid – verse 5
no evil shall befall us – verse 10
God will answer us – verse 15
God will deliver us – verse 15-16
God will honor us – verse 15
God will satisfy us with long life – verse 16
God will allow us to enjoy salvation – verse 16
(The above material was published by Calvary Tabernacle.) Christian Information Network