CHARACTERISTICS OF AN EFFECTIVE LEADER
BY JOHN C. MAXWELL
1. Positive Attitude – The ability to see people and situations in a positive way.
2. High Energy Level – Strength and stamina to work hard and not wear down.
3. Personal Warmth – A manner that draws people to them.
4. Integrity – Trustworthy, good solid character. Words and walk are consistent “Walk the talk.”
5. Responsible – Always “comes through,” no excuses. Job delegated = job done
6. Good Self-image – Feels good about self, others, and life.
7. Mental Horsepower – The ability to keep learning as the jobs expands.
8. Leadership Ability- Has high influence over others.
9. Followership Ability – Willingness to submit, play team ball, and follow the leader. No personal agenda.
10. Absence of Personal Problems – Personal, family, and business life are in order.
11. People Skills – The ability to draw people and develop them.
12. Sense of Humor – Enjoys life, fails to take self too seriously.
13. Resilience – Ability to “bounce back” when problems arise.
14. Track Record – Has experience and success. “Corn in the crib.”
15. Great Desire – Hungers for growth and personal development
16. Self-discipline – Willing to “pay the price” and handle success. Self-motivated.
17. Creative – Has the ability to see solutions and fix problems. Sees beyond the obvious.
18. Flexibility – Not afraid of change, fluid, flaws as the organization grows. Not territorial.
19. Sees the “Big Picture” – Able to look beyond personal interest and see the total picture. (Not influenced by possible promotion of self or family members)
20. Intuitive – Able to discern and sense a situation without tangible data. “Gut feeling.”
21. Committed – Unshakable commitment to principles. Not swayed by peer pressure or popular opinion.
The above material was excerpted from “Developing the Leader Within You,” by John C. Maxwell 1993.
THIS MATERIAL IS COPYRIGHTED AND MAY BE USED FOR STUDY & RESEARCH PURPOSES ONLY.