o 1 c. whole pecans
o 1 tsp. vinegar
o 3 egg whites
o pinch salt
o 1 c. sugar
o *per baggie
o wooden spoon
* Preheat oven to 300 F. Place pecans in zipper baggie and let children beat them with the wooden spoon to break into small pieces. Explain that after Jesus was arrested he was beaten by the Roman soldiers.
* Read John 19:1-3.
* Let each child smell the vinegar. Put 1 tsp. vinegar into mixing bowl. Explain that when Jesus was thirsty on the cross he was given Vinegar to drink. Read John 19:28-30.
* Add egg whites to vinegar. Eggs represent life. Explain that Jesus gave His life to give us life.
* Read John 10:10-11.
* Sprinkle a little salt into each child’s hand. Let them taste it and brush the rest into the bowl. Explain that this represents the salty tears shed by Jesus’ followers, and the bitterness of our own sin.
* Read Luke 23:27.
* So far the ingredients are not very appetizing. Add 1 c. sugar.
* Explain that the sweetest part of the story is that Jesus died because He loves us. He wants us to know and belong to Him.
* Read Ps. 34:8 and John 3:16.
* Beat with a mixer on high speed for 12 to 15 minutes until stiff peaks are formed. Explain that the color white represents the purity in God’s eyes of those whose sins have been cleansed by Jesus.
* Read Isa.1:18 and John 3:1-3.
* Fold in broken nuts. Drop by teaspoons onto wax paper covered cookie sheet. Explain that each mound represents the rocky tomb where Jesus’ body was laid.
* Read Matt. 27:57-60.
* Put the cookie sheet in the oven, close the door and turn the oven OFF. Give each child a piece of tape and seal the oven door. Explain that Jesus’ tomb was sealed.
* Read Matt. 27:65-66.
* GO TO BED! Explain that they may feel sad to leave the cookies in the oven overnight. Jesus’ followers were in despair when the tomb was sealed.
* Read John 16:20 and 22.
* On Resurrection morning, open the oven and give everyone a cookie. Notice the cracked surface and take a bite. The cookies are hollow! On the first Resurrection day Jesus’ followers were amazed to find the tomb open and empty.
* Read Matt. 28:1-9.
* HE HAS RISEN!!
This article “Easter Cookies” by Ron Smith was excerpted from: www.crosswalk.com website. September 1998. It may be used for study & research purposes only.
This article may not be written by an Apostolic author, but it contains many excellent principles and concepts that can be adapted to most churches. As the old saying goes “Eat the meat. Throw away the bones.”