By: T.R. Kelley
BIBLE LESSON: “ENDURANCE”
Note: Very little is head on the subject of “endurance” because it sounds like a lack of faith, lack of victory, lack of success. HOWEVER, endurance is not a “lack of any of these things” but is an indication of the grace, courage, strength and faith on the part of the person under stress!
A COMMON MISCONCEPTION OF CHRISTIAN PEOPLE: IF WE POSSESS ENOUGH FAITH, WE WILL AUTOMATICALLY FIND A SUPERNATURAL ESCAPE FROM EVERY PROBLEM, SICKNESS, OR TRIAL.
* BUT, God’s Word teaches that some things must be endured. We forget that walking with God is a “VOCATION” not a “VACATION”! Eph. 4:1 – “… walk worthy of the VOCATION wherewith ye are called…”
Vocation – specialized training, intense training (GREEK – klesis, kletos: high calling, heavenly calling, holy calling to a particular task.)
KEY VERSE: Hebrews 6:13-15 – (v. 15) – “And so, after he had PATIENTLY ENDURED, he obtained the promise.”
“Hupomeno, Hupophero” – Greek – to bear up courageously under stress, suffering, (Matt. 10:22, Mark 13:13, Rom. 12:12, I Cor. 24:13).
“Makrothumeo” – to be long-tempered, long on patience, as is said of Abraham that he “patiently endured..” (Heb. 6:15)
WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO ENDURE?
Look at Shadrach, Meshach, Abednego in the Book of Daniel 3:16-27.
“Upon whose bodies the fire had no power..” v. 27
GOD DELIVERED THEM “IN THE FIRE” AND NOT “FROM THE FIRE!” (endurance*)
This was a great testimony to a heathen king and many others – v. 28-30
*STUDY: I Cor. 10:14 – “Bear” is properly translated “endure”
NOTE: Only the strong, well-grounded, and deep-rooted will endure according to Mark 4:16-17.
SOME THINGS WE COULD BE CALLED UPON IN THIS LIFE TO “ENDURE”
a. Church at Thessalonica was undergoing a time of persecution when Paul wrote his second epistle. -2 Thes. 1:4
b. Paul mentions some of his persecutions and reminds us that they who live godly in Christ will suffer the same -2 Tim. 3:11-12
2. Affliction – generally this means we face distress, tight places, hardships, sufferings.
a. Paul encouraged Timothy to endure afflictions -2 Tim. 4:5
b. Church received the Word in much affliction -I Thes. 1:6
c. Job’s troubles, sickness, circumstances were called “afflictions” he had to endure these for some time before victory came. (Job 10:15; 30:16, and James 5:10-11)
d. Infirmities, reproaches, necessities, persecutions, distresses, along with a thorn in the flesh seemed to be Paul’s plight, but he patiently endured by the “grace of God..” (2 Cor. 12:1-10)
OUR AFFLICTIONS ARE MANY (Ps. 34:19), but they are working for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory -Romans 8:18, II Cor. 4:17.
*Moses chose “afflictions with the people of God” over the “pleasures of sin for a season” -Hebrews 11:25
3. Hardness – means undergoing hardship that is brought upon us because we are a Christian.
a. Paul admonished Timothy to endure hardness as a good soldier -2 Tim. 2:3)
b. John Mark, a helper of Paul, wasn’t able to “endure the hardships of the ministry” so he returned home. -Acts 12:25, 13:5-13.
4. Grief – from Greek word “LUPE” – sorrow, heartache, heaviness, sadness from false accusations, criticism, rejection by others.
a. Remember that Jesus was “a man of sorrows, acquainted with grief…”
b. READ: I Peter 2:19-20
I Peter 3:14,17 – “But and if ye suffer for righteousness’ sake, happy are ye: and be not afraid of their terror, neither be troubled; For it is better, if the will of God be so, that ye suffer for well doing, than for evil doing.”
Important: Read I Peter 4:14-16
5. Chastening – has to do with instruction, training, discipline.
a. God chastens us to keep us from being condemned with the world. (I Cor. 11:32)
* Without chastening, we lose our sonship and become as illegitimate children in His sight.
* Chastisement is never for our destruction but for our good!
6. Temptation – THIS FALLS INTO TWO CATEGORIES:
1) An enticement to evil 2) A test or trial.
JAMES SAID THAT THE PERSON WHO ENDURES TEMPTATION IS BLESSED! (James 1:12)
*GOD NEVER ENTICES US WITH EVIL. TEMPTATION IS NOT A SIN. SUCCUMBING AND GIVING IN TO IT IS!
* Endure temptation if you are not delivered from it and victory will be yours! -I Cor. 10:13, James 5:10-11
THREE DEMANDS ARE LAID UPON US IF WE ARE TO BE HIS DISCIPLES -Luke 9:23
1. We must deny ourselves.
2. We must take up our cross daily.
3. We must follow Jesus Christ.
Galatians 6:14 – By the cross, we are “crucified unto the world” and the “world is crucified unto us.”
NOTE: Those that endure to the end will be saved -Mat. 10:22
“CAN THINE HEART ENDURE, OR CAN THINE HANDS BE STRONG, IN THE DAYS THAT I SHALL DEAL WITH THEE?” -Ezek. 22:14.
“LOVE… ENDURETH ALL THINGS…” -I Cor. 13:7
(The above material was published by Calvary Tabernacle.)
Christian Information Network