By E L Thornton
( MAL. 3:6 )
I noticed an automobile license plate that was from Missouri. On the top of that plate was the slogan, “THE
SHOW ME STATE.” Maybe I’m just a little funny but I found this very intriguing so I found a World Book Encyclopedia and sure enough right there under the title “MISSOURI” was the caption “THE SHOW ME STATE.”
Let me tell you about Missouri. Many outstanding American citizens have come from this farm state. One of our presidents, Mr. Harry Truman the 33th president of the US came from Missouri. Also Mark Twain, the inventor of Tom Sawyer and Huck. Finn, along with George Washington Carver, the man that found so many uses for the lowly peanut, plus many others.
This “nick” name for Missouri is traced back to 1899 to a speech made by Congressman Willard Vandriver. While speaking in a public meeting he said, concerning some promises that was made by another politician, ” frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me, Sirs, I am from Missouri you gotta show me.”
I also heard, from my childhood, the phrase “as stubborn as a Missouri mule.” Mules are by nature a very stubborn animal. When I was a child my dad had two old mules. Their names were Nick and Tuck, and I can promise you that they were everything that their names implies. My dad had a constant fight on his hands trying to control them. If Missouri mules are any worst than those two the owners really have a problem.
“GOD MUST BE FROM MISSOURI”, there it is right here in the Bible “FOR I AM THE LORD, I CHANGE NOT.”
I. GOD WILL NOT CHANGE HIS MIND ABOUT SIN:
A. At the very beginning of the Bible God judged sin. Gen 4:7 “—-if thou doest not well, sin lieth at
the door—-” and according to the word of God that judgment has not ceased.
B. You must understand that all sin is against God. Words like “the new morality” and “alternate life
styles” or “extra marital relations” or “premarital relations”, are the invention of humans not God. God
still calls it sin, and “The fearful, and unbelieving and the abominable, and murders, and whoremongers,
and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone——“. Rev. 21:8 Pg. 1
C. SIN CARRIES IT’S PUNISHMENTS: A poplar phase that we all have heard is, “do the crime, do the time”. But no were is this more true than with God, about sin and eternity. “THEN WHEN LUST HATH CONCEIVED, IT BRINGETH FORTH SIN: AND SIN, WHEN IT IS FINISHED, BRINGETH FORTH DEATH” JAMES 1:15. I tell you that SIN’s finished product is not a pretty sight.
II. GOD WILL NOT CHANGE HIS MIND ABOUT THE DEVIL:
A. Names given to the Devil from the Bible: Abaddon (Re. 9:11), Accuser (Re. 12:10), Adversary (1 Pet. 5:8), Angel of bottomless pit (Re. 9:11) Apollyon (Re. 9:11), Belial (2 Cor. 6:15), Beelzebub (Matt. 12:24), God of this world (2 Cor 4:4) Murderer (Jn. 8:44), Prince of devils (Matt. 12:24 Prince of the Power of the Air (Eph. 2:2), Prince of this World (Jn 14:30), Ruler of Darkness (Eph 6 : 12), Serpent (Ge. 3:4), Tempter (Matt. 4:3), Unclean Spirit (Matt 12:43), Wicked One(Matt 13:19
B. What do you think the Devil comes for:
” THE THIEF COMETH NOT, BUT FOR TO STEAL, AND TO KILL, AND TO DESTROY.” (JOHN 10:10)
What a great contrast with the reason Jesus came. “I AM COME THAT THEY MIGHT HAVE LIFE, AND THAT THEY MIGHT HAVE IT MORE ABUNDANTLY”.
C. HIS DOOM:
“—-LORD, EVEN DEVILS ARE SUBJECT UNTO US THROUGH THY NAME. AND HE SAID UNTO THEM, I BEHELD SATAN AS LIGHTNING FALL FROM HEAVEN.” (LK. 10:18) Its as though Jesus was jesting with them, “If you think it’s something that devils are at your command”, listen to this, “I saw Satan fall—-“.
(a) Satan is not what he used to be.
(b) Speed of lighting, it don’t take God long to deal with Satan.
1. Hell is prepared for Satan “THEN SHALL HE SAY ALSO UNTO THEM ON THE LEFT HAND, DEPART FROM ME YE CURSED, INTO EVERLASTING FIRE, PREPARED FOR THE DEVIL AND HIS ANGELS.” (MATT. 25:41)
2. An angels gets him. “AND I SAW AN ANGEL COME
DOWN FROM HEAVEN HAVING THE KEY OF THE BOTTOMLESS PIT AND A GREAT CHAIN IN HIS HAND. AND HE LAID HOLD ON THE DRAGON, THAT OLD SERPENT, WHICH IS THE DEVIL, AND SATAN, AND BOUND HIM A THOUSAND YEARS. AND CAST HIM INTO THE BOTTOMLESS PIT, AND
SHUT HIM UP, AND SET A SEAL UPON HIM, THAT HE SHOULD DECEIVE THE NATIONS NO MORE–.” (Rev. 20:3)
a. He shut him up, I don’t know if this means that stop his mouth or close the door to pit. But either one makes me feel good, just to think that the devil want deceive no more.
b. Set a seal on him, I can just see the devil with a piece of tape over his mouth.
3. Cast into hell: “AND THE DEVIL THAT DECEIVED THEM WAS CAST INTO THE LAKE OF FIRE AND BRIMSTONE, WHERE THE BEAST AND THE FALSE PROPHET ARE AND SHALL BE TORMENTED DAY AND NIGHT FOREVER AND EVER.” (REV. 20:10)
III. GOD WILL NOT CHANGE HIS MIND ABOUT THE CHURCH:
A. Jesus built the church:
1. The church is built and put together by God almighty. “—AND UPON THIS ROCK I WILL BUILD MY CHURCH—.”
2. Satan, the world, and individuals will fight the church, but to avail. “—AND THE GATES OF HELL SHALL NOT PREVAIL AGAINST IT.”
B. Jesus built it according to His own plans: “AND ARE BUILT UPON THE FOUNDATION OF THE APOSTLES AND PROPHETS, JESUS CHRIST HIMSELF BEING THE CHIEF CORNER STONE.”
1. Using the Apostles and the prophets as examples.
2. Everything being from Jesus.
a. In construction work, every object of construction has a point of reference from which it is measured from. And usually it leads back to a corner.
C. Jesus purchased the church:
“HUSBANS, LOVE YOUR WIVES, EVEN AS CHRIST ALSO LOVED THE CHURCH, AND GAVE HIMSELF FOR IT; THAT HE MIGHT SANCTIFY AND CLEANS IT WITH THE WASHING OF WATER BY THE WORD.” (EPH. 5:27) Jesus bought the church even as we buy a suit of clothes, we buy to please us.
D. God will present it to Himself:
1. I heard, in a song, that Gabrial was going blow the trumpet. But the Word said “FOR THE LORD HIMSELF SHALL DESCEND FROM HEAVEN WITH A SHOUT, WITH THE VOICE OF THE ARCHANGEL, AND WITH TRUMP OF GOD: AND THE DEAD IN CHRIST SHALL RISE FIRST: THEN WE WHICH ARE ALIVE AND REMAIN SHALL BE CAUGHT UP—.” (1 THESS. 4:16)
2. The Church will be God’s present to himself: “THAT HE MIGHT PRESENT IT TO HIMSELF A GLORIOUS CHURCH, NOT HAVING SPOT, OR WRINKLE, OR ANY SUCH THING; BUT THAT IT SHOULD BE HOLY AND WITHOUT BLEMISH.” (EPH 5:25) It doesn’t surprise me that God alters things every once in awhile.
I’m in this church, this glorious church, I didn’t join, no I was born, I’ve had a new birth, Some glorious day, I’ll sail away, Not by my works, but by His grace, I’m in this church.