Job Description: General Secretary
By Cindy Womack
The primary purpose of the General Church Secretary is to coordinate all the reports for the church and to also assist in coordinating the new church organizational system, Total Church Growth. The General Secretary shall keep effective office records, filing such, and reporting to the Pastor accurate records of church services and meetings. Our Church Secretary becomes an extension of our churches ministry to reach a lost and hungry world.
1. Must be filled with the Holy Ghost.
2. Must meet the qualifications for church membership.
3. Must be loyal to the Pastor.
4. Must be willing to work in harmony with others.
5. Must carry a burden for the Secretarial Ministry.
6. Must be able to instill enthusiasm for work.
7. Must be able to lead and motivate staff.
8. Must desire quality and perfection of work.
9. Must be faithful and dependable in accomplishing duties.
10. Must have a knowledge of basic secretarial skills.
11. Must have a good understanding of the “Total Church Growth”organization system.
– Shall perform general office work which shall include: typing,filing, copying, mailing, etc.
– Shall place primary emphasis upon all pastoral requests for various office work and duties. All requests by department heads or others shall be secondary.
– Shall keep accurate records of attendance of regular attendees.
– Shall keep accurate records of all Spiritual activities at the church. This includes repentance, water baptisms, Holy Ghost baptisms, baby dedications, marriages and funerals.
– Shall take notes of monthly council discussion and decisions. Make note of any pastoral directives or assignments given to ministry directors at monthly council and type into a “tag-in” list for pastor (see sample). Bring up Tag-in list each week to the Pastor at the weekly tag-in.
– Shall attend all business meetings, taking accurate records of such.
– Shall work with the Pastor to select a volunteer assistant to assist you in all of your church secretarial duties and to fill-in when you are absent.
– Shall be an example to the church in faithfulness by attending all church services and special functions.
– Shall be an example to the church in soulwinning by being continually involved in the Home Bible Study ministry, or some other form of outreach ministry.
– Shall be an example to the church in spiritual growth by coming at least one-half hour before each service to pray.
– Shall attend all Annual Planning Retreats and Monthly Departmental Planning Councils.
– If unable to attend because of an emergency, shall inform the Pastor in advance and endeavor to have a substitute attend in your place.
– Shall perform additional duties as required.
The Church Secretary is responsible directly to the Pastor. Each year, the Pastor and Secretary will review this Job Description, update and improve to make more applicable to the position. The secretary is to work closely with all departments, assisting them as needed. Evaluation of performance of this position shall be performed by the Pastor on an annual basis. The term of this office shall be for one year.
Training And Development
Read “Let My People Grow!” by Tim Massengale (Revival Research)
Read additional books provided by the Pastor.
This article “Job Description: General Secretary” by Cindy Womack is excerpted from Calvary Apostolic Church, Jackson, MS.