Text – John 4:7-15 / 7:37-39
I. INTRODUCTION – WATER
A. Water is Important for all life.
1. Greek Philosophers – taught that life came from the waters of the Nile river.
2. Moslem “Koran” – states that “from water cometh all life”
3. Much Water = Much Wealth in the Jewish world because you could raise food, not just for your family, but also to sell.
4. Gen 1:1 – 1st day God created light and on 2nd day created water
a. It is water that makes us nique from all other planets in the solar system.
b. On Mars find only CO2. On Venus, only Amonia. On earth is H20 which brings life.
5. Our Text – “Out of Belly Flow RIVERS of LIVING WATER”
a. From soul of God’s greatest creation would flow water- spiritual water to give spiritual life.
II. The Water of God
A. Water Is Everywhere
1. By the same token, God is everywhere. John 4:24 “God is a Spirit..”
a. Water is Everywhere – covers 3/4 of earth – from the dry Saharah Desert to North Pole. Water is everywhere, and so is God.
b. Illustration: God’s not with you on an airplane because he said, “Low I am with you…”
- David – Psalm 139:7,8 “Whether shall I go from thy Spirit…”
3. One almighty God – manifested in 3 forms
- Water in 3 Forms – Liquid, vapor, and ice.
4. That Spirit is Here Tonight.
a. Rain – Someone has observed that how much you get depends upon where you are living – if you live in rain forests, much water. If you live in desert, little water. As for me, I choose to “live under the spout where the Glory comes out!”
B. Water is Free – you don’t have to buy it. It comes down from heaven. God sends it.
1. Simon Sorcerer in Acts tried to buy the Holy GhostPeter: “Thy money parish with you!”
2. Man doesn’t deserve it
a. Can not be earned – like a wage (the only wage you can earn is DEATH for “the wages of sin is death.”
b. Can’t merit it – like a reward (“Not saved by works of righteousness least any should boast…”
c. You simply must accept as a free gift! You don’t get good to get God, You get God to get good. That’s why the Bible says, “Without faith, it is impossible to please God”
3. Before Pentecost – The Bible said God would “Give” you the Holy Ghost,
a. Ezk – “I will give you a new heart/spirit”
b. Jesus – “Pray the Father and He will give you another comforter”
c. Text – “This spake He of the Spirit, which was not yet given.”
d. “To Give” requires action by GIVER (God)
4. But when the Day of Pentecost was fully come…one accord and one place…suddenly…rushing mighty wind and filled…cloven tongues…As the Spirit of God GAVE Utterance
5. God no longer “gives” the Holy Ghost. Now you “receive” it.
a. Acts 2:38 – …”And ye shall RECEIVE the gift of the Holy Ghost.”
b. God wants to give the you the Holy Ghost more than you want it! You must simply RECEIVE it. Receiving requires action by the RECEIVER, not the GIVER. The responsibility is YOURS to accept God’s free gift!
c. “Whosoever will, let him come and take of the water of life FREELY.
6. Some have tried to say this Pentecostal experience is “of the devil.” However, Jesus said, “If a child asked for bread, would his father give unto him a fish? (Luke 11:9)
If you ask God for the Holy Ghost, He will give you nothing less.
C. Water sooths and comforter
1. Have you ever sat by a Mountain stream? Calming effect of water.
2. There is no rest like the rest of the Holy Ghost
3. Jesus: “Peace I give unto you, not as world gives”
4. Send a “Comforter” – Isaiah 28:12 – The “Rest”
a. After a hard day’s work you can pray and feel refreshed.
b. Come to church weart abd tired – go home uplifted and strong.
5. God can give you peace at home, and in your marriage
D. Water will quench thirst
1. Dr. Pepper doesn’t quench thirst (full cup of sugar in every 2 liter bottle! Too “sweet” and syrupy.
* Denominal churches will give you their syrupy sweet sermons, tell you that you can sin and still be saved. Go there, and friend, you will come away thirsty! It won’t
Woman at well: Jesus said, “Let me tell you something. I notice you come here often to quench your thirst. If you drink of the water I give you…never thirst out of belly
2. Water is the only thing that truly quenches thirst.
- Holy Ghost will satisfy your spirit thirst.
b. “If any man thirst, let him come unto me and drink of the water of life freely!”
E. Everyone needs water to survive
1. You can do without food about 60-80 days
a. But Water – ONLY 2-3 days
2. Without water of God – you are a walking dead man
- Can’t be saved without it. “If any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of His!”
3. Like water, the Spirit must be continually replenish –
a. “Washing of regeneration and RENEWING of the Holy Ghost.”
4. Nicodemus – “You MUST be born of the WATER and of the
a. Man asked of the Preacher “Prove to me I HAVE to have the Holy Ghost to be saved.”
b. Preacher: What? If you only knew what the Holy Ghost really was you would not be asking if you HAVE to have it…you would be saying, “you mean I’m ABLE to have it? You mean I actually CAN have it?” That’s like asking “do I have to be happy?”
F. It’s the Holy Spirit that makes you a part of God’s family -we have been adopted (grafted) into His family.
a. “For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear, but ye have received spirit of adoption whereby we cry ‘Abba Father'”
b. Gentile boy talking to a Jewish boy – “I have a more blessed testimony than you!”
Jewish boy – “How can that be? I am a child of Abraham.”Gentile boy – Yes…God MUST accept you because He promised Abraham He would. But God didn’t HAVE to accept me, He CHOOSE me, He SELECTED me. He ADOPTED me into His family!”
G. Water will eventually be changed and evaporate into the heavens.
a. “If the Spirit of Him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, it shall also quicken your mortal bodies by the spirit that dwelleth in you!” (Romans 8:11)