By: Kenneth Haney
I. Developing Lay Leadership
A. The Need
1. A vital ingredient of church growth is the People and Power.
2. The Great Commission was given to all.
3. The church is a united effort not a Solo performance.
B. Step-By-Step Over A Long Period Of Time
1. Lay Leadership is built over a long period of time.
2. Must be built upon an adequate Theology.
C. A Common Ministry – Clergy And Laity
1. The pastor as Teacher/Trainer/Coach
a. Ephesians 4:11, 12 __________________________________________________
b. Why the pastor is important? Because he is teacher, trainer. He must be willing to share His walk.
c. The Laity is motivated as significant areas of ministry that are given to them.
2. The Laity as Student/Worker/Team Members
a. The laity must come to a new sense of identity.
b. They must see who they are in God’s eyes.
c. Must be trained to work together as a team for one cause.
D. Christ Strategy Of Ministry
1. The Training Of Small Groups To Do The Work Of the Ministry.
2. The wise pastor will disciple a small group of lay people in an in-depth training course.
a. This group becomes the leaven for the whole lump.
b. These trained lay people become trainers for others.
II. TRAINING FOR LEADERSHIP
A. Delegate II Corinthians 8:11
1. Find a WILLING PERSON to do the job
a. Train them if lacking in knowledge
b. Oversee the project until completed
c. You are still responsible
B. Follow Through
1. Many leaders fail because they do not see the job finished.
2. Successful leaders learn to go THE EXTRA MILE.
3. Don’t overlook small details.
C. Get along with Co-Workers
1. You are not a Boss but a Leader.
2. Be understanding.
3. Control and Direct your emotions.
“REMEMBER THAT NO ONE CAN HURT YOUR FEELINGS WITHOUT YOUR COOPERATION AND WILLINGNESS”
D. To Motivate Those Who Work Under You
1. Put ENTHUSIASM! into your words and deeds. (Take a look at yourself)
2. Try praising instead of criticism.
3. Never talk defeat. Everything Christ did was positive.
E. Plan Ahead
1. Define your goals and move towards them.
2. Have a Master Calendar.
3. This will help you to see potential problems and give you time to think of how to eliminate them.
F. Cooperate with others if they want cooperation.
1. Work without friction.
2. Don’t spotlight another’s fault. Play up his good points.
3. Learn to pull together.
“United we stand Divided we Fall”
G. Be Consistent!
1. Keep notes and refer to them.
2. Don’t say you are going to do something and then not do it.
3. Remember when you discuss something with someone or they will lose confidence in your thinking ability.
H. To Be Determined
1. Failure will never overtake you if your determination to succeed is strong enough.
2. Stick in there through thick and thin. Never stop. Keep plodding.
I. Be Positive
1. You are what you think about all day long.
2. As a man thinketh in his heart so is he. (Proverbs 23:9)
3. Rid your mind of all negative thoughts, evil thinking, or anything that would block you from being filled with faith.
4. If you are handed an lemon, make lemonade.
5. Speak Positive!
1. Joshua “As for me and my house we WILL serve the Lord”
2. Paul “I can do all things through Christ”
3. Caleb “Let us go up at once, and possess it; for we are well able to overcome it”
4. Elisha “Fear not; for they that be with us are more than they that be with them”
III. Motivating the body leaders
A. Church is a united effort, not a solo performance. It is everyone working together in the authority structure God instituted.
1. Eph. 4:11-12
a. Perfecting of saints and edification of the body
1) He gave 5 fold ministries
B. Pastor must motivate the people
1. Laity must see who they are in God’s eyes
2. Christ strategy of ministry
a. The training of small groups to do the work of the ministry.
b. The wise pastor will disciple a small group of lay people in an indepth training course.
1. This group becomes the base for the whole lump.
2. These trained people become trainers for others.
C. Important points to remember in training for leaderships
1. Teach them to:
b. Follow through
c. Get along with co-workers
d. Motivate those who work under you
e. Plan ahead
g. Be consistent
h. To be determined
i. Be positive
(The original publisher of the above material is unknown.)
Christian Information Network