By: T.R. Kelley
Bible Lesson: Six Watchwords For All Christians
Bible Reading: I Timothy 6:11-19
Note: As Christians, we should constantly guard against any tricks the devil may try to play on us. He is forever looking for and trying new ways to trip us up.
– In I Timothy 6 Paul warns Timothy about some of the devils methods. We should also take note of the six watchwords for Christianity.
1. Flee – (VERSE 11) – “But thou, O man of God, flee these things….”
a. Pride – (v.4) – “He is proud, knowing nothing, but doting about questions and strifes of words….”
Notice: Pride leads to envy, strife, railings (uncharitableness), evil surmisings, wasteful disputes of carnal minds, and spiritual destitution.
*** These proud “Christians” believe gain is godliness!
NOTE V.6: “Godliness With Contentment Is Great Gain.”
b. Greed – (v.10) – For the love of money is the root of all evil.”
NOTICE: Greed will lead you into temptation and a snare, and into many hurtful and foolish lusts, which drown men in destruction and perdition (see v.9).
** Destruction = Now ** Perdition = Eternity
Note: The love of money (GREED) will cause you to err from the faith, giving you many sorrows and problems.
– We should flee these things. And remember – this is an honorable flight!
2. FOLLOW -(VERSE 11) – “Follow after….”
a. Righteousness – The character or quality of being right or just.
NOTE: It was formally spelled “RIGHTWISENESS,” which is consistent with the righteous attributes of God.
b. Godliness – To be devout; to do that which is well pleasing to God.
c. Faith – Conviction.
d. Love – Spiritual love, (see I John 4:16). “”God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him.”
e. Patience – Endurance (of trials of life; trials of faith; under chastisement; under undeserved affliction; in well-doing; etc.).
f. Meekness – Humbleness.
– We are to follow after these things.
Remember – This Is A Glorious Pursuit!
3. Fight – (VERSE 12) – “Fight the GOOD fight of faith….”
a. Fight – To lead; A contest or conflict, (as in Olympics – a contest of
Note: This is a SPIRITUAL CONFLICT – against SPIRITUAL foes.
Pastoral Note: Since FAITH means conviction or convictions, we must fight the good fight of CONVICTIONS, (and not preferences!).
***** EVERY SAINT OF GOD NEEDS SOME CONVICTIONS – PRAY FOR THEM! *****
REMEMBER – THIS IS A PERPETUAL CONFLICT!
4. LAY HOLD – (V. 12,19) – “Lay hold on eternal life….”
a. Lay hold – To seize and twist the neck
*** The term “Lay hold” was used of wrestlers, in the sense of grasping by the throat.
NOTE: We must grab on and hold on to eternal life. Grab on, seize it, and hold on to it in such a way it could never escape!
REMEMBER – ETERNAL LIFE IS A TREASURE TO GRASP!
5. KEEP – (VERSES 13-16,20) – “Keep this commandment…and that which is committed to thy trust….”
a. Keep – To observe; to give heed to.
1. This commandment.
2. That which is committed to thy trust.
We are to keep it safe; guard it; watch it; observe and give heed to DO it until Jesus comes again!
REMEMBER – IT IS A TREASURE TO GUARD!
6. CHARGE – (VERSES 17-19) – “Charge them that are rich….”
a. Charge – To announce; a verbal warning.
THIS IS THE WARNING TO GIVE TO THE RICH AND EVERYONE ELSE:
– Do not be proud or high-minded.
– Do not trust in uncertain riches.
– Trust in the living God.
– Do good.
– Be rich in good works.
– Be ready to give, and willing to communicate.
LAY-UP A HEAVENLY SAVINGS ACCOUNT!
NOTE: As Christians, if we adhere to the wise sayings of God’s Word, we will be partakers in His kingdom.
***** REMEMBER THESE SIX WATCHWORDS. *****
1. FLEE – AN HONORABLE FLIGHT!
2. FOLLOW – A GLORIOUS PURSUIT!
3. FIGHT – A PERPETUAL CONFLICT!
4. LAY HOLD – A TREASURE TO GRASP!
5. KEEP – A TREASURE TO GUARD!
6. CHARGE – A WARNING TO GIVE!
— THESE ARE THE SIX WATCHWORDS FOR ALL CHRISTIANITY! —
(The above material was published by Calvary Tabernacle.)
Christian Information Network