The Infilling of the Holy Ghost
By Don Hyrkas
Joel 2:28 Isaiah 28:11 Matthew 3:11 John 14:26
I. THE HOLY GHOST IS PROMISED IN BOTH THE OLD AND NEW TESTAMENTS.
Joel, Isaiah, John the Baptist, Jesus – all promised it.
A. Acts 2:1-4 the day of Pentecost.
1. This is that spoken by the prophet Joel Acts 2:16-21
2. Isaiah mentioned stammering lips and another tongue.
3. Jesus gave promise John 14:26 John 15:26 John 16:7
B. Jesus said it was necessary for him to go away so the comforter could come.
1. It was more important for the comforter to come than for Jesus to remain. WHY?
II. THE HOLY GHOST WAS FIRST POURED OUT ON THE DAY OF PENTECOST.
A. No one as yet had ever been “baptized” with the Holy Ghost.
B. The Spirit had moved upon men and rested on them, but not filled them.
C. John the Baptist was filled from his mother�s womb.
D. Read Matthew 11:11
E. John 16:7 Jesus said the Comforter could not come while He was here in the flesh.
1. He dwelleth with you and shall be in you. John 14:17
2. Christ in you, the hope of glory–Col. 1:27
F. The Feast of Pentecost–one of the great feasts when Jews made a pilgrimage to Jerusalem.
1. Two loaves offered–made of the first fruits of the harvest
2. God chose this time to pour out the Holy Ghost
3. The two loaves signify salvation to both Jew and Gentile
G. The disciples had been commanded by Jesus to tarry until
1. See the importance of it. Luke 24:49 Acts 1:4 John 7:39
H. The outpouring of the Holy Ghost marked the birth of the New Testament Church.
1. On this rock, I will build my church–it’s His church
2. The church is the baptized body of believers, a called out assembly.
3. The N.T. church is still a living organism-filled with the
Holy Ghost and the power of God
III. THE INITIAL EVIDENCE OF THE BAPTISM OF THE HOLY GHOST IS SPEAKING
IN OTHER TONGUES.
Acts 2:4 Acts 10:46 Acts 19:6 Acts 2:33
A. It is the Spirit that gives the utterance
B. Any one who has not spoken in tongues as not received the Holy Ghost
C. Mark 16:16 Speaking in tongues, one of the signs of a believer
D. Only exception-Acts 8:17-There was some manifestation–Simon offered money to buy the power to bestow it.
E. A person is not to seek tongues, but the Holy Ghost–Not the gift, but the giver.
IV. THE HOLY GHOST IS ESSENTIAL
John 3:5 I Corinthians 12:13 Romans 8:16
A. Jesus command the disciples to tarry until they received it.
B. Only when we are born again are we greater than John the Baptist.
C. Repentance is good, but we must be born again.
V. THE HOLY GHOST IDENTIFIES US WITH CHRIST. IN RESURRECTION.
Romans6:5 Col. 3:1 I Cor. 15:22 Romans 8:11
A. The New Birth places us “in Christ”–That’s just the beginning
B. The Spirit-filled believer experiences a definite resurrection as he rises to walk in newness of life.
C. He was dead (in trespasses and sin) but now he lives.
D. This gives us the hope of a physical resurrection at His coming.
VI. THE HOLY GHOST IS THE SPIRIT OF CHRIST-NOT THE THIRD PERSON IN THE TRINITY. (THE WORD TRINITY IS NOT IN THE BIBLE)
A. II Cor. 3:17 Not that spirit is the Lord’s spirit Romans 8:9 Col. 1:27 John 14:18
B. There is only one spirit and in the baptism of the Holy Ghost, we receive the Spirit of Christ.
C. When a believer receives the Holy Ghost, he is in Christ and Christ is in him.
VII. PURPOSES OF THE HOLY GHOST
It is of much greater value than just to speak in tongues or make us feel good in his presence.
A. Given to lead and guide us into all truth.
B. To reprove of sin–The anointing of God on His word in preaching, witnessing etc., brings conviction to sinners.
1. He will reprove us before we sin if we will allow Him to do so.
2. Only by overriding the conviction God places there, do we go ahead and sin.
C. Ye. shall receive power after the Holy Ghost is come upon you!
1. Must use that power-resist the devil and he will flee from you.
D. The Holy Ghost will keep you–will not dwell in unclean temple
It’s not how much of the Holy Ghost you have that determines your victory, but how much of you does the Holy Ghost have?
E. We have received the Spirit of Adoption Romans 8:15-17
1. By one spirit we are all baptized into one body. I Cor.12:13
2. He is the head of the body, the church
3. As many as received Him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God. John 1:12
F. We are sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise which is the earnest of our inheritance Eph. 1:13, 14
1. The kingdom of God is not meat and drink, but righteousness peace and joy in the Holy Ghost. Romans 14:17
This article may not be written by an Apostolic author, but it contains many excellent principles and concepts that can be adapted to most churches. As the old saying goes. “Eat the meat. Throw away the bones.”
From, “A workshop with a Biblical Perspective”/16691 Gothard street Huntington Beach, CA 92647, by Don Hyrkas