THE MINISTRY OF THE APOSTLES AND PROPHETS
BY KEVIN J. CONNER
It is worthy to note that the apostle and prophet work closely together in the Body of Christ. Both act as “checks and balances” on the other, as these Scriptures show. Jesus sent the Twelve out two by two (Luke 9). He also sent out the seventy two by two (Luke 10). The two are stronger than the one. If the one falls, the other lifts him up. Two witnesses to each city was the order before Christ came to each city. So the apostle and prophet, as “two witnesses” work together.
They are like the two legs of the human body, foundational, and transport for the Body. They work together in unity.
Two is the number of witness, testimony, harmony, one with one.
A. Old Testament
One of the great Old Testament types is that seen in Moses and Aaron. Moses was the apostle and Aaron the prophet of the Church in the Wilderness (Exodus 1-7). They were foundational ministries. Acts 7:38.
B. New Testament Ministries
1. The Church is built on the foundation laid by the apostles and prophets (Ephesians 2: 19-22). Other ministries build on this.
2. He gave some apostles and prophets until the Church is matured and perfected (Ephesians 4:911).
3. All are not apostles and prophets (I Corinthians 12:28, 29).
4. It is firstly apostles, secondarily prophets, in Divine order though all are co-equal as persons (I Corinthians 12:28, 29).
5. Babylonian systems hate the apostles and prophets who are against them (Revelation 18:20).
6. The revelation of the Church is given to the apostles and prophets (Ephesians 3:5).
7. In the wisdom of God, He will send apostles and prophets and teachers and some of them will be rejected and crucified (Luke 11:49).
8. Christ spoke of apostles, prophets and scribes coming (Matthew 23:34).
9. Paul and Silas, as apostle and prophet, worked together (Acts 15:22-40; 16:6, 7).
10. In Revelation 13 we see a false apostle (antichrist) and a false prophet working together in deception of the whole world in worship.
11. The Old Testament Prophets and New Testament Apostles work together in the sense that the Old Testament prophets prophesied while the New Testament apostles saw New Testament fulfillments (II Peter 3:1-2).
God must bring these ministries together, to work in unity of heart, mind, spirit and faith, for the body of Christ.
THE ABOVE MATERIAL WAS TAKEN FROM THE CHURCH IN THE NEW TESTAMENT AND PUBLISHED BY BT PUBLISHING 1982, PAGE 109. THIS MATERIAL IS COPYRIGHTED AND MAY BE USED FOR STUDY & RESEARCH PURPOSES ONLY.