By: T.R. Kelley
BIBLE LESSON: THE SECRET OF A HAPPY, FRUITFUL, SATISFIED LIFE
MATTHEW 7:24 – “HE THAT DOTH BOTH THESE SAYINGS OF MINE SHALL BE LIKENED
UNTO A WISE MAN.”
NOTE: In these last days man is desperately seeking ways in which to find happiness. Because of his carnality, he will always look first to the desires of the flesh. The reason for this is because man is governed by three basic motives: LUST OF THE FLESH, LUST OF THE EYE, PRIDE OF LIFE. (see I JOHN 2:15-17).
1. LUST OF THE FLESH – They that are after the flesh – controlled by their earthly, mundane nature – do mind the things or the flesh (Romans 8:5), the things they can touch, taste, and boast of.
REMEMBER – THE LUST OF THE FLESH IS THE ANTAGONIST OF THE HOLY SPIRIT (see GALATIANS 5:24).
2. LUST OF THE EYE – Cravings for things which minister to sight and the desire of the mind.
3. PRIDE OF LIFE – If the lust of the flesh is the bud, the lust of the eye the blossom, then the pride of life is the matured fruit of conceit
*** To follow after these desires will only lead to destruction, unhappiness, and an unquenchable desire to get more of what you already
REMEMBER – A RICH MAN IS NEVER SATISFIED WITH HIS PRESENT WEALTH. HE WILL GO INTO HIS GRAVE HAVING STRUGGLED TO MULTIPLY WHAT HE ALREADY HAS.
NOTE: THERE IS, HOWEVER, A WAY TO ACHIEVE HAPPINESS AND SATISFACTION.
READ DEUTERONOMY CHAPTER 6
– THE FIRST THREE VERSES OF THIS CHAPTER GIVE US THE SECRET OF A HAPPY, FRUITFUL, SATISFIED LIFE.
THE FOLLOWING VERSES GIVE US:
I. A SOLEMN DECLARATION – “THE LORD OUR GOD IS ONE LORD” (V. 4).
* To live a truly happy, fruitful, satisfied life, one must first recognize God’s true identity – HE IS THE ONE TRUE GOD!
NOTE: READ DEUTERONOMY 28:58
(See also: Jn. 14:9; Mt. 1:23; Is. 9:6; Col. 2:9; Jas. 2:19; Gal. 3:20; Eph. 4:5,6; Heb. 1:3; 10:5; 2:16; I Tim. 3:16; Jn. 20:28; Zech. 14;9; Jer.
10:10; Rev. 1:11; Rev. 4:2).
II. AN ABSORBING ATTITUDE – “THOU SHALT LOVE THE LORD WITH ALL THINE HEART, SOUL, AND MIGHT” (V.5).
NOTE: If the Lord absorbs the affections or the world. No provision for the flesh (see PHILIPPIANS 1:21).
III. A GRACIOUS RESPONSIBILITY – (v. 6-9).
* WHEN THE LORD IS LOVED, HIS WORDS WILL BE TREASURED, THOUGHT OF, TALKED, WRITTEN, AND LIVED (see Ps. 1:2; Job 23:12).
IV. AN UNMERITED POSSESSION – (v. 10,11).
* The inheritance of the saints, present or future, is not the fruit of their own labor, but the outcome of infinite grace (Eph. 3:16-19).
V. A NEEDFUL REMINDER – (v. 12). “BEWARE LEST THOU FORGET THE LORD WHICH BROUGHT THEE OUT OF BONDAGE.”
NOTE: It will enhance our burden for the lost, (unsaved), to remember that “SUCH WERE SOME OF YOU” (I CORINTHIANS 6:11).
VI. A CONDITIONAL PROMISE – (v.18) – “DO THAT WHICH IS RIGHT IN THE SIGHT OF THE LORD THAT IT MAY BE WELL WITH THEE.” (see also Gen. 17;1; Mt. 23:8).
VII. AN EXPECTED TESTIMONY – (v. 21-25) – “Thou shalt say…”
NOTE: Their testimony, like ours, consisted of:
1. A confession of their past;
– “BONDMEN IN EGYPT” (v. 21).
2. An acknowledgment of the Lord’s righteous judgments against sin (v.22).
3. A declaration of His power to save “from thence” (v.23).
4. An assurance of His faithfulness to His Word “that He might bring us in” (v.24).
5. A warning against sin and unbelief (v.24).
6. An encouragement to implicit obedience (v.25).
REMEMBER – THE SUREST PATH TO A HAPPY, FRUITFUL, SATISFIED LIFE IS IN LOSING YOURSELF IN A CAUSE GREATER THAN YOURSELF.
The secret of a happy, fruitful, satisfied life:
KEEP YOUR HEART FREE FROM HATE, YOUR MIND FREE FROM WORRY, LIVE SIMPLY, EXPECT LITTLE, GIVE MUCH, SING OFTEN, PRAY ALWAYS, FORGET SELF, THINK OF OTHERS AND THEIR FEELINGS, FILL YOUR HEART WITH LOVE, SCATTER SUNSHINE.
*** THESE ARE THE LINKS IN THE GOLDEN CHAIN OF CONTENTMENT.
(The above material was published by Calvary Tabernacle.)
Christian Information Network