By: T.R. Kelley
BIBLE LESSON: THE WORD OF FAITH
ROMANS 10:8 – “… the Word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy HEART: that is, the WORD OF FAITH, which we preach.”
HEART – (GREEK – KARDIA) – Thoughts, reasoning, understanding, will, designs, affections.
* Comes from Greek word “KARDIOGNOSTES” which means “a knower of hearts, the most secret thoughts, desires, and intentions.”
WORD – (GREEK – RHEMA) – “To speak, the operative or all-powerful word or command of God. Rhema stands for the things which is spoken about. (see: LUKE 1:37; ACTS 10:37; & II CORINTHIANS 13:1)
PREACH – (GREEK – KERUSSO) – “To herald, shout out, to proclaim, cry out, persuade.”
SPECIAL NOTE: MARK 11:23 – “For verily I SAY unto you, that whosoever shall SAY unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; and shall not doubt in his heart, but shall believe that those things which he SAITH shall come to pass; he shall have whatsoever he SAITH.”
* FOUR times in this verse Jesus told His disciples to “SAY” what they wanted from God!
PASTORAL NOTE: Not every person who says what he wants gets it. WHY? THEY PROBABLY HAVE NOT FOLLOWED GOD’S FORMULA
FIRST, he must say what he wants.
SECOND, he must not doubt what he is doing.
THIRD, he must believe that he will get his answer.
FOURTH, he must ask in prayer & God will move the mountain out of his life!
* SO, THE FAITH OF OUR HEART IS TO BE SPOKEN BY THE MOUTH (the “RHEMA”).
I. FAITH IS NEVER A LEAP INTO THE DARK!
Rather, faith is a leap into the LIGHT!
When we move by faith we are walking in the LIGHT OF GOD’S WORD! DAVID SAID: “Thy WORD…is a lamp and a light…to my feet…my path.”
II. A LOOK AT SOME PRACTICAL “LAWS OF FAITH” WE CAN LEARN TO LIVE BY.
NOTE: Romans 8:2 – “For the LAW of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.”
1. THE OBEDIENCE LAW – Jesus saw that His disciples had fished all night. Yet, He commanded them to “Cast the net on the right side of the ship, and ye shall find….” (JOHN 21:6).
* SO, WHEN THE DISCIPLES “OBEYED” HIS WORD, THEY EXERCISED FAITH!
2. THE ACT OF FAITH LAW – Man with the withered hand in the synagogue. Jesus said to the man “STAND FORTH,” (MARK 3:3), “STRETCH FORTH THY HAND,” (MARK 3:5).
NOTE: THIS MAN ACTED ON THE WORD OF GOD, HIS ACT OF FAITH BROUGHT HIS HEALING!
3. THE DIVINE ASSISTANCE LAW – JOHN 14:17 – Jesus said of the Holy Spirit
“Ye know Him, for He dwelleth with you, and SHALL BE IN YOU.”
* If we want more faith, we must let the Holy Ghost have more of our lives!
EPHESIANS 5:18 – “Be not drunk with wine… but be FILLED WITH THE SPIRIT.”
4. THE SEED OF FAITH LAW – MATTHEW 17:20 – “If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed….”
* If your faith is very small, but you trust God with the faith you have, then nothing is impossible to you because you can move mountains!”
5. THE EXPECTANCY LAW – MATTHEW 7:7 -“Ask and ye shall receive….” JOHN 14:14 – “If ye shall ask anything in My Name, I will do it.” FAITH IS TAKING GOD AT HIS WORD AND EXPECTING HIM TO DO WHAT HE PROMISED!
JAMES 1:6 -“Let him ask in faith….”
* FAITH IS KNOWING WE’LL GET AN ANSWER BEFORE WE ASK!!!
6. THE GRATITUDE LAW – We cannot have the conditions that cause faith without also possessing its results—THANKSGIVING!
PAUL REMINDED US – “So walk ye in Him… established in the faith…. abounding… with thanksgiving.” (COLOSSIANS 2:6-7).
* WHY DOES THANKSGIVING CAUSE FAITH TO BE STRENGTHENED?
FAITH grows when the believing soul wholly forgets himself and turns all his energies over to God. When we look to Jesus without reservation, we are expressing the nature of thanksgiving—BEING ENTIRELY OCCUPIED WITH GOD!
(The above material was published by Calvary Tabernacle.)
Christian Information Network