CALVARY APOSTOLIC TABERNACLE
JULY 21, 1992
UNDERSTANDING THE OLD TESTAMENT
I Corinthians 10:11, Now all these things happened unto them for ensamples: and they are written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the world are come.
1. Without a clear understanding of the Old Testament the New Testament cannot be fully understood. When “scripture” is mentioned in the Bible it is always speaking of Old Testament scripture.
*Matthew 22:29 Jesus answered and said unto them, Ye do err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God. *Luke 24:27 And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself.
*Luke 24:32 And they said one to another, Did not our heart burn within us, while he talked with us by the way, and while he opened to us the scriptures?
*Luke 24:45 Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures,
*John 5:39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.
*Acts 17:2 And Paul, as his manner was, went in unto them, and three sabbath days reasoned with them out of the scriptures,
*Acts 17:11 These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.
*Acts 18:28 For he mightily convinced the Jews, and that publickly, shewing by the scriptures that Jesus was Christ.
*Romans 15:4 For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope.
*I Corinthians 15:3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;
*I Corinthians 15:4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:
*II Timothy 3:15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.
*II Peter 3:16 As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.
2. Leviticus: means the charge to the sons of Levi, or, the Law of the Priests.
3. Paul says of the Tabernacle and its services, that it was–a parable, illustration, outline, figure–for the time then present.
4. Paul speaks of the “law” as having a “shadow” of good things to come.
a. These things were our–examples, types, patterns.
b. John 1:45 Philip findeth Nathanael, and saith unto him, We have found him, of whom Moses in the law, and the prophets, did write, Jesus of Nazareth, the son of Joseph.
c. John 5:46 Jesus said, for had ye believed Moses, ye would have believed me; for he wrote of me.
5. Hebrews is the New Testament’s Leviticus. (Must have an understanding of Leviticus to understand Hebrews).
6. What is the Gospel?
a. It is God’s proclamation of a plan of mercy to save sinners.
7. 6 days for creation–more than 70 days for instruction of the Tabernacle and its services.
8. 2 chapters given to creation and over 50 chapters to the Tabernacle and its services.
9. Leviticus Chapter 8: Aaron and his consecration.
10. (1) Washed with water: Purity. (Jesus’ baptism by John in Jordan).
(2) Dressed with priestly clothing:
a. The ephod (coat)
c. The robe.
d. The embroidered coat.
11. No man can approach God uncovered. (Adam & Eve).
12. Anointed with oil.
13. Sprinkled with blood of the sacrifice.
a. Leviticus 8:23 And he slew it; and Moses took of the blood of it, and put it upon the tip of Aaron’s right ear, and upon the thumb of his right hand, and upon the great toe of his right foot. In the hall of judgment the thorny crown was pressed upon His head, and marked His ears with blood. On Calvary the nails
were driven, and brought out the crimson drops upon His hands and feet.
This material was provided to the Apostolic Information Service by Rev. James Groce, pastor of Calvary Apostolic Tabernacle in Cantonment, FL.