By: Mike F. Alexander
1. John died of extreme old age in Ephesus.
2. Judas Iscariot, after betraying his Lord, hanged himself.
3. Peter was crucified, head downward, during the persecution by Nero.
4. Andrew died on a cross at Patrae, in Achaia, a Grecian Colony.
5. James, the younger brother of the Savior, was thrown from a pinnacle of the Temple, and then beaten to death with a club.
6. Bartholomew was flayed alive in Albanapolis, Armenia.
7. James, the elder son of Zebedee, was beheaded at Jerusalem.
8. Thomas, the doubter, was run through the body with a lance at Coromandel, in the east Indies.
9. Philip was hanged against a pillar at Heropolis (Abyssinia).
10. Thaddeus was shot to death with arrows.
11. Simon died on a cross in Persia (now Iran.)
“Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened unto you: But rejoice, in as much as ye are partakers of Christ’s sufferings; that, when his glory shall be revealed, ye may be glad also with exceeding joy” (1 Peter 4:12-13).
Are you suffering today? Remember the Christians who have gone before you. God will be with you in your suffering to give comfort and sweet relief. “Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you” (1 Peter 5:7).
Yes, Christians do suffer, but we know that “… If God be for us, who can be against us?” (Romans 8:31.) This is one of the many sweet promises of God. Get the Bible out and reread them again and again and He will uplift your Spirit with His very Word.
(The above material appeared in Gospel Tract Harvester.)
Christian Information Network