JOB DESCRIPTION: CHILDREN’S MINISTRIES DIRECTOR
By: Sis. Michelle Cron
To administer and motivate the Children’s Ministries Department in a manner that will result in the Spiritual growth and maturity of the children of the church and staff members. You will focus also on outreach and ministries to the children of the city. Main focus will be placed on proper organization and numerical growth in the areas of Children’s Church, Sunday School, and Bus/Van Ministry.
1. Must be filled with the Holy Ghost.
2. Must meet qualifications for church membership.
3. Must be loyal to the Pastor.
4. Must be willing and able to work in harmony with others.
5. Must carry a burden for children’s Ministries.
6. Must be able to instill excitement and enthusiasm.
7. Must be able to motivate volunteers in the Church.
8. Must have a deep love for children.
9. Must be able to deal with parents of children who have died or are dying.
10. Must show love to parents who are not in the Church.
11. Must be faithful and dependable in accomplishing duties.
** Shall oversee and supervise all operations of the Children’s Ministries under the direction of the Pastor.
** Shall supervise all aspects of Children’s Church services and programs.
** Shall seek to implement programs with tact, zeal, and love.
** Shall work closely,with the Sunday School Department in the promotion of Sunday School and programs sponsored by the Sunday School.
** Shall motivate staff members and lead in staff Prayer meetings.
** Shall motivate parents to get involved in promoting programs of the church geared toward the children.
** Shall organize “Special Visitor Program” at local hospital to visit children who have no families.
** Shall promote the attendance of all children to the Camp Meeting appropriate for the age.
** Shall promote volunteers for counselling at the afore mentioned camp meetings.
** Shall organize programs of outreach into local hospitals, boys clubs, etc…
** Shall supervise puppet and mime ministries for Children’s Church and neighborhood outreach.
** Shall strive to reach attendance goal for the Children’s Church this year. This annual goal should be divided into monthly goals.
** Shall motivate children to bring friends to Children’s Church and Sunday School.
** Shall sponsor and promote “Bring a friend Sunday” including prizes for those who come as well as those who bring the friend.
** Shall sponsor and promote two fund raisers for the children to use for a “field trip” solely for them.
** Shall work with the Pastor to select proper staff to help carry out the duties.
** Shall be an example to the Church through faithful attendance to all services and special functions.
** Shall be an example to the Church by becoming involved in the various outreach ministries of the Church.
** Shall be an example to the Church in Spiritual growth by coming at least one half hour before each service to pray.
** Shall attend all Annual Planning Retreats and Monthly Departmental Planning Councils.
** If unable to attend because of an emergency, shall inform the Pastor in advance and endeavor to have a substitute attend for you.
** Shall hand in an official monthly report at the Monthly Staff Council.
** Shall perform additional duties as required.
The Children’s Minister is responsible directly to the Pastor. Each year the Pastor and Children’s Minister will review this Job description, and will update and improve it as needed. The Children’s Minister will work closely with all departments, but especially Sunday School, and Bus/Van Ministries. Evaluation of performance of this position shall be performed by the Pastor on an annual basis. The term of this office shall be for one year.
TRAINING AND DEVELOPMENT
* Read Let My People Grow by Tim Massengale
* Read Children for Christ by Andrew Murray
* Read Children Management by Bruce D. Lockerbee
* Attend a Child Care Seminar if possible
* Read any additional books provided by the Pastor
JOB GOALS FOR THE YEAR
* Build Children’s Church growth to _____ by the end of the year.
* Plan four attendance promotions to increase the attendance of Children’s Church.
* Begin Boy Scout and Girl Scout troops.
* Plan annual Children’s Christmas Banquet.
* Plan annual Children’s Christmas Program.
* Develop Job Descriptions for all interdepartmental positions
(The above material was designed and prepared by Michelle Cron, an Indiana Bible
College student graduate.)
Christian Information Network