JOB DESCRIPTION: CHURCH CUSTODIAN
SIS. KAREN PATTON
WHITEHAVEN UNITED PENTECOSTAL CHURCH – 1991-92
To maintain the cleanliness and beauty of the House of God. The major focus of your job will be upon janitorial cleaning of all interior church facilities. By concentrating your work upon this, you will make the House of God a more pleasant place to worship, attractive to visitors, thereby having a meaningful affect upon our community towards revival.
1. Must be loyal to the Pastor.
2. Must be willing to work in harmony with others.
3. Must have a high regard and concern for the House of God.
4. Must be faithful and dependable in accomplishing duties.
5. Must have knowledge of basic cleaning skills and products.
Shall oversee and supervise all operations of the custodial responsibilities under the direction of the Pastor/Men’s Ministry Director. Shall seek to implement all duties with tact, zeal, and dedication.
Shall work in close communication with the Ladies Auxiliary and Men’s Ministries Directors in relation to church work days and special cleaning projects scheduled.
Shall stress to Department leaders and others who sponsor special events and functions at the church, such as weddings and showers, etc., that it is their responsibility to provide proper clean up.
a. If there is a problem in this area shall work with the respective Department Head to remedy the situation, or make note of any problem to the Men’s Ministry Director.
Shall assist with the development of Facility Use Guidelines to be utilized in the future.
Shall maintain the inventory of church cleaning supplies and submit an ordering list as needed to the church secretary. You may be required to pick up some supplies occasionally.
Shall sporadically spot check the facilities at your convenience such as before or after services, in case of situations needing immediate attention.
Shall insure that the following duties are performed on a weekly basis.
1. All classrooms are vacuumed, straightened, and garbage taken out.
2. Cafeteria is straightened, garbage emptied, and floors cleaned (mopped/waxed) as needed.
3. Gymnasium is straightened as best as you’re able, and the floor dustmopped.
a. Insure that table and chair racks are straight.
4. Plants in atrium are watered and groomed – more often if needed. Shall insure that lightbulbs are checked/changed in office, atrium, and outside entry areas.
Shall clean the glass top of the copy machine each week.
Shall insure that the following duties are performed twice per week.
1. Sanctuary is dusted, vacuumed, trash picked up, and chairs picked up.
2. Halls and Nursery are vacuumed, garbage emptied, and Nursery sheets are washed (sheets may be delegated to another individual).
3. Atrium is vacuumed, dusted, and windows cleaned.
4. Bathroom floors are cleaned, garbage emptied, sinks, commodes, mirrors cleaned, and tissue and paper towels replenished.
5. Office area is vacuumed, dusted, garbage emptied, and bathrooms cleaned.
6. Insure that the water fountains are cleaned.
Shall periodically dust the woodwork of the church facilities such as window sills, and door frames, etc.
Shall remove cobwebs a minimum of once per quarter.
Shall work with the Pastor in selecting a qualified replacement to help you in all phases of your custodial duties when needed.
If unable to work because of an emergency, shall inform the Pastor in advance and have a substitute work in your place.
Shall be an example to the church in faithfulness by attending all church services and functions.
All church keys and related materials loaned to you during the term of your duties must be returned upon leaving your position.
Shall be responsible for the security of areas under your care including access to locked rooms.
Shall perform additional duties as required.
The Church Custodian is responsible directly to the Pastor. Each year the Pastor will review this Job Description, update and improve to make more applicable to the position. unaccountability shall consist of infrequent spot-checking by the Men’s Ministries Director of all activities and upcoming events. The custodian shall work closely with all departments, but especially with Ladies Auxiliary and Men’s Ministries. Evaluation of performance of this position shall be performed by the Pastor on an annual basis. The term of this office shall be for one year.
JOB GOALS FOR THE YEAR OF 1991
Assist in developing a set of facility use guidelines.
Develop an Inventory Supply requisition form.
TRAINING AND DEVELOPMENT
Shall attend at Youth Retreat in Gatlinburg, the Late Night Maintenance Ministries Banquet, which this year features Janitor Drums singing “Cleanse me oh Lord”, and also a short workshop by Mr. Whipple on the rare and dying art of squeezing the Charmin. Shall speak to the Church family, and give a short report on this workshop Sunday a.m. – November 30, 1991. For your information the banquet will be held in the basement boiler room in the convention center.