JOB DESCRIPTION: SUNDAY SCHOOL TEACHERS
WHITEHAVEN UNITED PENTECOSTAL CHURCH
To administer and motivate the Sunday School Class in a manner that will result in growth, maturity, and stability of the students. Major focus will be placed on proper organization, quality instruction, student consecration, and numerical growth in the Sunday School Class. In focusing upon these, you will accomplish the main task of the Sunday School, this being “teaching” and “reaching”.
1. Must be filled with the Holy Ghost.
2. Must maintain the qualifications for church membership.
3. Must be loyal to the Pastor/S.S. Superintendent.
4. Must be willing to work in harmony with others.
5. Must carry a burden for the Sunday School Ministry.
6. Must be able to instill enthusiasm and excitement.
7. Must be able to lead and motivate children.
8. Must be a lover of children.
9. Must be faithful and dependable in accomplishing duties.
10. Must have a knowledge of the operation/functions of the Sunday School.
* Shall oversee and supervise all operations of the Sunday School Class under the direction of the S.S. Superintendent/Pastor. Shall seek to implement the program with tact, zeal and love.
* Shall mobilize and supervise all members of the Sunday School Class.
* Shall arrive no later than thirty minutes prior to beginning of Sunday School. a. Sunday School begins at 10:00 a.m.
* Shall attend the Sunday morning teacher’s prayer/staff meeting (to begin at 9:30 a.m.)
a. Fifteen minutes prayer/staff meeting.
b. Shall be in classroom no later than 9:45 a.m. for last minute preparations.
* Shall maintain the teachers “Aim For Excellence” program.
a. The “Aim For Excellence” standards is set by the Pastor & Superintendent.
b. Photographs and names of Teachers that reach the “Aim For Excellence” standards will be posted each month on the S.S. Bulletin Board.
c. Each Teacher should fill one out each week (one form is used for one month) in full, regardless of how many teachers are in class.
d. The “Aim For Excellence” program is explained in detail in this notebook.
* All teachers shall have good absentee follow-up and child visitor follow-up practices each week. Guidelines are as follows:
a. Send absentee card weekly (unless they have missed 4 Sundays consecutively.
b. If student has missed 2 Sundays consecutively – a telephone call and card should be sent.
c. Third Sunday consecutively a student has missed a personal visit from one or all teachers is required.
* Shall make sure that the Sunday School rooms, equipment, and supplies are clean and in good repair.
a. Sunday School supplies should be kept clean, well stocked, and care given to eliminate any waste.
b. Decorations in Sunday School classrooms should be changed quarterly.
c. Seating arrangement should be changed quarterly also.
d. Notify S.S. Superintendent of any equipment, supplies, or repairs that are needed.
* Shall strive to reach our Sunday School attendance goal each year. This annual goal will be divided into monthly goals. The monthly goals will be divided into class goals. Each Sunday School class will have a monthly goal to reach. If each class reaches their goals, then the S.S. as a whole should reach their goal also.
* Shall keep neat and accurate records of students,, and attendance.
a. Hand in a weekly report to the S.S. Superintendent (“Aim For Excellence” form) along with absentee cards.
* Shall plan a special Christmas Program in cooperation with the Pastor and Sunday School Superintendent.
* Shall plan at least four attendance promotions (one per quarter) to increase the Sunday School Class membership each year. Suggested times: Easter, Pentecost Sunday, Sunday before General Conference, and Christmas.
a. Promotional suggestions: Team Contests, Give-aways, etc. The promotion should be able to involve adults as well as children.
* Shall notify the Sunday School Superintendent if substitute teacher or class secretary is needed.
a. Do not contact a substitute before Sunday School Superintendent is made aware that one is needed.
* Shall notify Sunday School Superintendent at any time with discipline problems concerning persons within the class.
* Shall attend a quarterly Sunday School Staff meeting to keep all informed of upcoming developments and promotions.
a. Notify S.S. Superintendent of amount of S.S. Literature to be ordered and any supplies needed.
b. A list of students to be promoted from your class should be given to S.S. Superintendent at this meeting.
c. Individual interviews and/or evaluations of teachers may be done at one of the quarterly meetings.
* Shall attend an annual teacher training course, on an off-church night, also any program offered by the section or district. This is to be an in-depth training session.
* Shall be required to read one book on their student age level each year. Books are to be varied from different publishing houses and provided by the Sunday School Department.
* Shall promote soulwinning as a major objective throughout the entire Sunday School through the means of
a. Wednesday Night Children’s Church – ages 3-11 yrs.
b. Bible Funland – ages 6-11 yrs.
c. Annual Children’s Revival
d. Junior Youth Camp – grade 4,5,&6.
e. “Holy Ghost Sunday”
1. All teachers – primary through adult – will pray and fast that week. They will teach their lesson with one primary goal in mind: to give an altar call at the conclusion.
2. Teachers may prepare their own lesson this week, including visuals and handouts.
* Shall strive to fulfill the following objectives on Sunday morning:
a. Start on time and dismiss on time.
b. Begin with a warm welcome and prayer.
c. Create a spirit of worship. Be enthusiastic and alert, you are setting the pace for the day.
d. Prepare students for that morning’s lesson. Variety is a must!
e. Coordinate the opening with any special interest or emphasis.
* Shall insure that all New Converts (and their children) and visitors (and their children) feel welcome in our Sunday School. Introduce yourself to parents and children as their teacher.
* Shall attend annual Sunday School Staff Banquet toward the end of each curriculum year. This is to include various awards and the giving of a “Teacher Of The Year” and “Bus Worker Of The Year” plaques.
* Shall work with Superintendent an other teachers in your Sunday School class to help in all aspects of your class duties.
* Shall be an example to the church in soulwinning by being continually involved some form of Outreach Ministry.
* Shall be an example to the church in faithfulness by attending all church services and special functions.
* Shall be an example to the church in spiritual growth by coming at least one-half hour before each service’ to pray.
* Shall attend all Quarterly Teachers Meetings and Weekly Prayer/Staff Meetings.
* If unable to attend because of an emergency, shall inform the S.S. Superintendent and arrange an appointment to discuss meeting at later date.
* Shall hand in an official monthly report (“Aim For Excellence”).
* Shall endeavor to not schedule any activities on Monday night. Monday will be known as “Family Night” and all church members are encouraged to spend quality time with their families on this night.
* Shall perform additional duties as required.
* All church keys, binders, and related materials loaned to you during the term of your duties must be returned upon leaving your position.
* Shall maintain oversight and supervision of facilities and furnishings in your classroom.
* Shall be responsible for the security of areas under your care including access to locked rooms and use of office equipment.
* Shall be responsible to record all S.S. Class monies received or dispersed. Shall turn in a copy of this along with proper receipts to Superintendent.
* Shall conduct one’s self everywhere as becometh a Christian.
* Shall cleanse one’s self from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God. (I Corinthians 7:1). Tobacco in any form, movies, dancing, alcoholic beverages, and unclean
conversations are considered unbecoming to a Christian.
* Shall endeavor to manifest a spirit of brotherly love and fellowship toward all God’s people.
* Shall avoid all ungodly and worldly amusements (all amusements and recreations are not harmful), that one may be blameless and harmless amidst an evil generation; and thus bring no reproach upon the Name of Christ.
* The dress and conduct of staff members shall be in harmony with the church standards and Christian ethics. Slacks, shorts, low-cut necklines, and other unbecoming apparel shall not be permitted. (Girls will be allowed to wear culottes.)
* Jewelry such as necklaces, bracelets, earrings, etc., shall not be permitted.
a. Ladies hair shall not be cut, trimmed, feathered, dyed, etc., in order to be a member of the teaching staff.
b. Mens hair shall be cut properly and not laying over collar, etc. Also face must be clean shaven.
* Makeup such as eye shadow, mascara, lipstick, fingernail polish, blush, etc., shall not be worn by any member of the teaching staff.
The Sunday School Teacher is responsible directly to the Pastor/Superintendent. Each year, the Pastor/Superintendent and Teacher will review this Job Description, update and improve to make more applicable to the position. Accountability shall consist of a report of all Sunday School Class activities and upcoming events. The Sunday School Teacher shall work closely with the Sunday School Superintendent, Bus/Van Ministry, and Saturday Door Knocking. Evaluation of performance of this position shall be performed by the Pastor on an annual basis. The term of this office shall be for one year.
TRAINING AND DEVELOPMENT
* Read “Bible Alive” by Lin Johnson (Standard Publishing)
* Read “Creative Ideas For Effective Follow-up” by Judy Dorsett (Standard Publishing Co.)
* Read “Teachers Are Made. Not Born” by Eddie & Billye Joyce Fine (Standard Publishing)
* Read “Teach With Success” by Guy P. Leavitt; revised by Eleanor Daniel (Standard Publishing)
* Attend Church & District Sunday School Seminars if possible.
* Read any additional book(s) provided by the Superintendent
JOB GOALS FOR THE YEAR 1991
* Reach a Sunday School Class average of __________ for the month of December.
* Plan at least four attendance promotions to increase S.S. Class Enrollment.
* Attend the Sunday Morning Prayer/Staff meeting.
* Participate in the Teachers “Aim For Excellence program. ** Develop and promote Soulwinning in the Sunday School ministry through Holy Ghost Sunday.
* Improve the Absentee Follow-up and Child Visitor Follow-up system.
* Read books provided for teachers on your student age level.
* Plan to attend annual Sunday School Staff Banquet.