Job Description: Youth Committee Advisor
To administer and motivate the Youth Committee in a manner that will result in the development of spiritual and social growth for the youth and individuals participating. Major focus will be placed on advising the committee in providing the youth with spiritual, social, outreach, and fund raising activities that will glorify God. In focusing upon these, you will assist in accomplishing the main task of the Youth Department, this being, to prepare the young people as spiritual leaders in the church of today, as well as tomorrow.
1. Must be filled with the Holy Ghost.
2. Must meet the qualifications for church membership.
3. Must be loyal to the Pastor.
4. Must be willing to work in harmony with others.
5. Must carry a burden for the Youth Ministry.
6. Must be able to instill enthusiasm and excitement.
7. Must be able to lead and motivate youth.
8. Must be a ]over of the souls of youth.
9. Must be faithful and dependable in accomplishing duties.
10. Must have a knowledge of the operation/functions of the Youth Ministry,
– Shall oversee and supervise all operations of the Youth Committee under the direction of the Pastor. Shall seek to fulfill all responsibilities with tact, zeal, dedication, and love.
– Shall take an active interest in planning and participating in:
a. The social aspect of the youth – in order to unify them as a strong team and body.
b. The soulwinning Involvement of the youth – In order to see young people and others saved.
c. The fund raising goals of the youth – in order to help them gain financial responsibility.
d. The spiritual growth of the youth – in order to see them develop a stable walk with God.
– Shall serve as a catalyst to the entire Youth Program promoting and encouraging its success.
a. Shall keep abreast with all areas of the youth work from the national, district, and sectional level in order to implement needed programs locally.
b. Shall offer suggestions and give advice for the entire scope of the youth work, serving as the pastor’s representative.
c. Shall be an example to the youth by serving as a role model in worship and consecration.
– Shall work with the Sr., & Jr., Bible Quizzing Ministry each year, promoting and encouraging it’s success, You will assist the Bible Quizzing director in coordinating their activities with the church calendar,
– Shall coordinate and oversee the “J-JAMers” (Just Jesus And Me),Jr. Youth Club for boys and girls (ages 6- 1 2) which meets weekly, This will be a future consideration of the Youth Department and may be delegated to another.
– Shall coordinate and oversee the Scouting program for boys and girls which meets weekly. This will be a future consideration of the Youth Department and may be delegated to another.
– Shall attend all sectional youth fellowship meetings (when possible) and encourage youth to do the same.
a. Must oversee all transportation needs ( bus, vans, cars, etc.). If church vehicle is used, shall insure it is cleaned after use,
– Shall insure that the Youth Committee promotes ‘Sheaves for Christ’ and other fund raising events under Pastoral direction.
– Shall strongly encourage youth to attend all church prayer meetings, Including pre-service prayer.
– Shall assist the Youth Committee who shall take complete oversight of the youth at Wednesday youth services. The Youth Committee is to:
a. Arrange for pianist, organist, song leaders, specials, service leaders, speakers, etc. (Speakers must be cleared with the Pastor)
b. See that the church is opened, lights on, air / heat regulated.
c. Insure that church is locked and everything turned off following youth service.
d. Contact youth when absent. This is a must!
e. Make visitors feel welcome and see that they are followed-up on.
– Shall plan to utilize the “Youth Alive” style of youth services which focuses on a well balanced and varied youth program,
a, Month One – Spiritual Emphasis (preaching & prayer).
b. Month Two – Outreach emphasis (prayer before, outreach activity, social time after).
c. Month Three – Activity emphasis (games, social time, sports, parks, etc.).
d. Month Four – Outing Emphasis (youth service or devotion away from church).
– Shall promote and mist our youth in attending youth camps and conventions, coordinating all travel to and from, as well as executing all plans.
– Shall promote and encourage all national, district, and local youth activities, such as:
a. Youth Rallies e. Youth Retreats
b. S. F. C. Promotions f. Youth Conferences
c. Youth Week g. Youth Outreach Crusades
d. Youth Camp h. Annual Youth Trip
– Shall insure that proper adult supervision / chaperons are available for all youth activities, socials, or services.
– Shall serve as Advisor of the Youth Committee and will present their plans to the Pastor at the Monthly Departmental Council for addition to the church calendar. The purpose of this Youth Committee is to do the following:
a. They shall plan such fund raising projects as:
1 ) Car or Window Washes
3) Christmas/Valentine Card Serv.
4) Slave/ Skills Auction
5) Recipe / Bake Sales
7) Dinners, breakfasts, or barbecues
8. Sports Tournaments
b. They shall plan and coordinate various socials activities such as:
1) Snow Trip
2) Sweetheart Banquet
3) Annual Youth Trip
4) Youth Harvest Party (Oct. 31)
5) Graduation Party
6) Back-to-School Revival
7) Youth Camp-out
8) Youth Christmas Party
c. They shall plan and implement outreach programs such as:
1 ) Overnight Youth Crusade
2) Campus ministry
3) Street Services
4) Tract Distribution (tract attacks/races)
5) Balloon or Kite Testimony
6) Youth Bus/Van Route
d. They shall plan the youth service, giving attention to variety and spirituality, such as:
1) Panel discussions
2) Evangelistic services
3) Plays or skits
4) Outreach services
5) Street meetings
6) Missions night
7) Consecrations services
8) Topical services
9) Outdoor services
11) Exchange services
12) Witnessing services
13) Film night
14) And Others. Variety is a must!
– Shall teach / speak when opportunities present themselves or as needed.
– Shall work diligently to involve all new convert youth In the youth program and activities. Make a special effort to invite them and make them belong.
– Shall coordinate and oversee the publishing of the bimonthly youth newsletter “The Youth R.I.O.T” (Revival In Our Town) sending it to all youth and past youth visitors. This will be a future goal of the Youth Department.
– Shall seek out the youth to befriend and encourage them as needed, referring appropriate cases to the Pastor.
a. It should be understood that all advice given to young ladies shall always be done in the presence of your wife.
b. All situations involving intimate behavior – DO NOT COUNSEL – refer to Pastor immediately.
– Shall endeavor to not schedule any departmental activities on Monday night. Monday will be known as “Family Night” and all church members are encouraged to stay home with their families on this night.
– Shall be an example to the youth in faithfulness by attending all church services and special functions.
– Shall be an example to the youth in soul winning by taking active involvement in the Home Bible Study Ministry, or some other form of outreach ministry.
– Shall be an example to the Youth in spiritual growth by coming at least one-half hour before each service to pray.
– Shall attend all Annual Planning Retreats and Monthly Departmental Planning Councils.
– If unable to attend because of an emergency, shall inform the Pastor in advance and endeavor to have a substitute (one of the youth council members) attend in your place,
– Shall hand in an official monthly report at the Monthly Staff Council.
– Shall perform additional duties as required.
The Youth Director is responsible directly to the Pastor. Each year, the Pastor and Youth Director will review this Job Description, update and improve to make more applicable to the position. Accountability shall consist of a monthly report of all youth activities and upcoming events. The Director is responsible for all interdepartment staff and youth council / committee personnel. The director shall work closely with all departments, but especially with Outreach. Evaluation of performance of this position shall be performed by the Pastor on an annual basis. The term of this office shall be for one year.
Training and Development
– Read “The Youth Workers Manual” by David Hyles
– Read “Building Community in Youth Groups” by Denny Rydburg (Group Books)
– Read “Involving Youth In Youth Ministry” by Tom Schultz (Group Books)
– Read “Let My People Grow” by Tim Massengale (Revival Research)
– Read book(s) provided by Pastor
– Attend District Youth Convention if possible.
– Attend the National Youth Workers Seminar if possible.
Job Goals For The Year Of ____
– Assist the Pastor in developing a Youth Council and Committee.
– Begin using the four “Youth Alive” style of services.
– Begin the Youth Newsletter
– Explore the possibility of starting a monthly youth prayer meeting.
– Explore the possibility of beginning youth clubs for boys/girls 6-12.
– Develop Job Descriptions for all interdepartmental positions.
THE ABOVE MATERIAL WAS FROM A JOB DESCRIPTION FORM OF VICTORY TABERNACLE, 1990. THIS MATERIAL MAY BE USED FOR STUDY AND RESEARCH PURPOSES ONLY.