FOUNDATIONAL SURVEY OF THEOLOGY
Section Eight: ANGELOLOGY
THE ANGELS OF SATAN, THE DOCTRINE OF DEMONOLOGY
“The Lord Jesus Christ… came down to Capernaum, a city of Galilee, and taught them on the Sabbath days. And they were astonished at His doctrine: for His Word was with power.
And in the synagogue there was a man, which had a spirit of an unclean devil, and cried out with a loud voice. Saying, “Let us alone; what have we to do with Thee, Jesus of Nazareth? Art Thou come to destroy us? I know Thee who Thou art; the Holy One of God.” And Jesus rebuked him, saying, “Hold thy peace, and come out of him.”
And when the devil had thrown him in the midst, he came out of him and hurt him not. And they were all amazed, and spake among themselves, saying “what a word is this! for with authority and power he commands the unclean spirits, and they come out.” Luke 4.31-36
I. The ORIGIN of Demons
Even though the Bible has much to say about them, No single verse of Scripture declares “God created demons…” The origin of demons however, may be realistically concluded.
A. False Views Concerning the Origin of Demons
1. They are merely superstitious explanations of certain diseases.
2. They are spirits of deceased men (Reincarnation).
3. They are disembodied spirits of a pre-Adamic race of humanity.
4. They are the unnatural offspring of angels and the daughters of men.
THERE IS NO SCRIPTURE TO SUPPORT THESE VIEWS…
B. Factual Views Concerning the Origin of Demons
This is the declaration of the Scriptures:
1. Demons are the “devils” of the Scriptures
The term is a Greek word DIAMON, Strong’s #1142. This term is distinguished from “the Devil,” Greek
DIABOLOS, Strong’s # 1228.
2. Demons include fallen angels who are not confined
Demons were part of the original angelic creation, who chose to follow Satan in his rebellion against God
Their number – information unknown to men, known to God (Rev. 12.4, 7-12; Matt. 8.29 ff. and 12.43 ff.).
Their nature – instruments of evil, rebellious against God
Aligned with Satan (Matt. 25.41)
Attentive to Satan (Matt 12.26)
Active for Satan (Eph 6.11-12, Matt 12.24-27)
3. Demons include fallen angels, who are confined
They, like their unconfined number favored Satan over God.
Some are confined in the “Abyss” (Luke 8.31; Rev. 9.2, 11 “Bottomless pit” cf Rev 16.13-14). This confinement includes those demons who will serve to make the “Great Tribulation” hell on earth. Those demons free during the Lord’s day apparently feared this judgment of confinement.
Some are confined in “Tartarus” (2 Pet, 2.4-5; Jude 6-7). This confinement includes those angels who “left
their first estate” and like Sodom and Gomorrah went after “strange (Heteros – literally of a differnet kind)
flesh” perversion of normal sexual relations.
These “sons of God” (Gen. 6, cf. Job 1.6, 2.1, 38.7; Psa. 29.1, 89.6 and Dan 3.25) “saw the daughters of men that they were fair” and cohabited with them, producing a race of “giants in the earth” (Hebrew NEPHILIM, literally fallen ones), part man part angel. Satan’s purpose was obvious, infiltrate the human race, thus destroy the humanity of the “seed of Woman”.
This rebellion however brought instant retrobution from God, Who “spared not the angels that sinned” and
used the flood to purge the earth of all but Noah and his descendants, who was declared “perfect”.
II. The ORGANIZATION of Demons
A. They are a highly organized army with structure and authority (Eph. 6.11-12)
1. Satan is their commander (Matt 12.24.; Mark 3.22; Eph. 2.2)
2. Their army contains “principalities” ruler- magistrates (cf. Rom. 8.32; Col. 2.10, 15 cf. Luke 12.11)
3. Their army contains “powers” (cf. Eph. 1.21, 2.2, 3.10; Titus 3.1; Rev. 9.3, 11.6) those with authority.
4. Their army contains “world ruler of darkness”, literally world holders (cf. 1 John 2.15-17, 4.5, 5.19).
They hold the world, however it will pass away.
5. Their army contains “spiritual wickedness in the heavenlies” (Matt. 22.18; Luke 11.39; Rom. 1.29;
1 Cor. 5.8).
B. They are a well informed army
Demons maintain constant surveillance upon their opposition, the Lord Jesus Christ and them that are His
1. They know the Lord Jesus Christ (Mark 1.24; Luke 4)
2. They are subject to Him (Mark 1.24; Luke 4)
3. They know of their judgment (Matt. 8.29 “before the time.” cf. James 2.19)
4. They know of God’s sole provision of man’s redemption (2 Cor. 4.3-4)
5. They know their own system of doctrine (1 Tim. 4.1-3)
Your enemy is prepared for battle and activitely engaged in it, are you?
-Adamic race of humanity.