THE MINISTRY OF HOSTESSING
I. You are CHOSEN for:
1. Your faithfulness/loyalty to your pastor and church
2. Your neatness in appearance; you are an example, and many times the first impression visitors receive of C.L.C.
3. Your attitude – Not timid; but with a “Holy Ghost aggressiveness”
II. Your DUTIES consist of:
1. ARRIVE EARLY-
A. PRAYER ROOM – Pray earnestly for these people who need God
B. Be ready at post at 9:10; remaining until 9:45 Return at approx. 10:35; remaining until 10:50
2. Greet with genuine appreciation
3. Ask visitors to sign the Guest Book
A. If anyone should say that they had rather not sign, do not be insistive to the point of being demanding. Most people are happy to sign their name; those who even hesitate usually do with time.
4. Direct to proper class or activity locale
5. Clear lobby
A. Do this with discretion
B. Avoid arguing
C. Speak firmly, yet with a smile
(Privileges of a Hostess)
I. MEETING AND GREETING ALL VISITORS & GUESTS
1. Greeting (unsaved) Visitors
A. Leave no doubt in their mind that they are most welcome now and always in Christian Life Center for any service, drama, special service, etc.
B. Let them know that they are special by asking them congenially to sign our Guest Book. (Please be careful to notice, inconspicuously, that they include their address. If they don’t, please ask them to do so.)
2. Greeting Honored Guests – These include:
1. U.P.C. Ministers, Wives, Families – Paying close attention to special, honored guests such as the U.P.C. organizational leader, international Harvestime speaker, etc. (If you do not know them now, you will recognize them with time.)
2. Our own Foreign Missionaries, Wives, Families
3. Any upcoming special guest speaker(s), revival minister(s), (etc.) & family(ies)
4. Any visiting minister (& family) from any denominational church
5. Any civic leader(s); i.e., city, county, state or national official(s). Also any attorney(s), judge(s), etc.
PLEASE BE CERTAIN THAT THE NAMES OF SPECIAL, HONORED GUESTS ARE GIVEN TO PASTOR HANEY. AS YOU KNOW, HE RECOGNIZES THEM FROM THE PULPIT.
3. “Let your light so shine before men. . .” Matt. 5:16(a)
A. As you know, we are very often the first impression many visitors receive of this church and therefore reflecting a witness of the Lord Himself.
“…that they may see your good works and glorify your Father which is in heaven.” Matt. 5:l6(b)
B. May I admonish you to look unto this ministry as a Sunday School Teacher does his (her) class; or as a Cell Leader does his (her)group of people. For each unsaved, unclaimed person walking through our door(s) is a potential soul for the Lord; yours to present to Him on that Great Day!
II. ANSWERING USHER TELEPHONE
1. Examples of Calls/Messages You Will Receive (From Platform) TO RELATE TO USHER
1. Make sure baptismal tank is full.
2. Main sanctuary is full; seat additional people in balcony, except elderly people, honored guests, etc. (When this occurs, the ushers usually rope the main doors from the foyer, not allowing entrance or exit through those doors. They may use side doors only. Please assist the ushers to remind anyone exiting that they must use the side doors.)
3. If a guest is seen in the audience, an usher may be requested to escort him (her) to the platform.
4. Turn on/off (depending on the situation) the lights.
5. Turn heater/air conditioner on/off, depending on the weather and capacity of the audience.
2. Calls Received from Sound Room (Balcony) for You or Usher
1. Is sound loud and clear enough at your location
3. Miscellaneous Privileges You can Fulfill
1. Greet a visitor, direct them to an usher for seating arrangements.
2. Open door for mothers exiting with small children.
3. Help spouse/children find their mate/parents, especially after service has begun.
4. Stop ‘runaway children’.
5. Assist ushers in passing out secret pal gifts – preferably before or after service.
6. Assist ushers in relaying messages to different ones, again before or after service, except for an emergency.
7. Always be versatile and prepared for any unusual circumstance/emergency.
III. ANSWERING OFFICE TELEPHONE
Below are questions you will usually be asked as you answer the office phone.
1. Time of beginning of service(s)
A. Sun. (a.m.) 9:45 & 10:45; Sun, (p.m.) 6:00 – until further notice
B. Wed. – 7:30
C. Special Services to be announced
2. Ride to service/information regarding ride on Sunday School Bus
A. Until further notice, please ask them to call during office hours-Mon.-Fri. 8:30 – 4:00
3. Take Prayer Requests
4. Saints informing Pastor Haney/Assoc. Pastor they will be out of town on a certain date(s)
5. Personal Calls for Pastor Haney
A. If you’re certain he has not arrived, simply take a message.
B. If you know he’s in his office, ask who’s calling, ring his office on the intercom, inform him who’s calling, and ask him if he’s taking any calls. He will instruct you from there.
If you know he’s in his office, yet he doesn’t answer the intercom, assume he does not wish to be disturbed and take a message. (He may be counseling, praying, studying, etc.)
You will find the intercom numbers taped on the phone in the inner office, but answer the phone from the outside office, if the receiver is on the hook there. If not, use the inner office.
6. Personal Calls for Associate Pastors/Ministers
A. They are usually slightly more available than Pastor Haney. Nevertheless, if they’re in their office for whatever reason, use the same format as Pastor Haney.
(The original source and/or publisher of the above material is unknown.)
Christian Information Network