By: Bro. Robertson
You are expected, to be faithful to your church, In any position you are an example to others. You have a responsibility to yourself and to others who depend on you. There is also a scriptural responsibility.
1. If you are scheduled to greet people, be at the door 45 minutes early, do not get caught in a lengthy conversation, shake hands and encourage them to move on to the sanctuary out of the vestibule. Do
not allow the door area to get congested, this is part of your duty as an usher.
2. Give all visitors a visitors card, have them to fill it out and put it in the offering plate.
3. Be at your post when scheduled or told to do so.
4. BE CONSISTENT
5. During alter call NO CHILDREN are to leave the sanctuary. Please station yourself at an exit to prevent running in and out.
6. If children are playing in the restrooms warn them one time, if it continues take their hand and lead them to their parents with an explanation.
7. If children go to the prayer room make sure that is what they are doing, if they are not praying and they are playing take them to the front seat in the sanctuary, with instructions to stay there.
8. If you need the assistance of a woman Sis. Robertson or Sis. Frye will help with the women’s restroom.
THESE ARE GUIDELINES, YOU MUST USE WISDOM. DO NOT LOSE YOUR TEMPER. BEING CONSISTENT NOW WITH THIS SMALL NUMBER OF CHILDREN WILL HELP US ALL TO KEEP OUR SANITY WHEN WE HAVE HUNDREDS MORE.
JOBS AND TASKS FOR THE USHERS
To carry out any prescribed duty for the glory of the Lord and the benefit of the saints.
To greet the visitors in a warm manner and encourage filling out a visitors card or signing the register.
To keep a very high standard of cleanliness in and about the church.
#1 Priority is Greeting and order in the vestibule area.
1. MUST HAVE THE HOLY GHOST AND BE PRAYERFUL.
2. FAITHFULNESS, A PORTER MUST ATTEND THE GATES.
3. OBEY YOUR SUPERIORS.
Example of greeting a visitor:
usher: Open the door for them! Praise the Lord how are you?
visitor: Fine I guess
Usher: Is there something I can help you with
visitor: I’m looking for Sis. Doe
Usher: Oh please follow me she is expecting you.
Usher: May I ask you to please fill this card out the pastor sure would like to know you were here.
THE DUTIES OF THE ROVING USHER
1. Shall check the restrooms and all open or unlocked doors for children.
2. Check the parking lot for lights left on or children playing.
3. Check the downstairs and behind all doors.
4. Do these checks every service night and around the clock, about every 20 min.
5. Try to get something out of the service yourself do not neglect your soul.
Usually is taken up after announcements, the ushers scheduled for offering are to be seated at the rear of the church in the chairs provided.
Be sure that the baskets remain in front of the podium on Sunday morning.
If you see a piece of paper or litter on the floor pick it up.
KEEPING ORDER IN THE VESTIBULE
1. Do not lose your temper! it gives the devil space and you could hinder the attempt to win a visitor.
2. Calmly escort the individual away from a crowd and fore warn them there is to be no more horse play in the church.
3. Keep eye to eye contact it will show you mean business
4. Instruct them to go through the sanctuary door and have a seat.
5. If it happens again call for the head usher.
KEEPING ORDER OUT SIDE THE CHURCH
1. Explain to the person there is no playing in the parking lot.
2. Escort them in the church and to a seat.
PLAYING IN THE RESTROOMS.
NO ONE UNDER THE AGE OF 5 IS TO BE IN THE RESTROOMS DURING THE SERVICE. THEY MUST BE ESCORTED TO THE RESTROOM AND BACK.
NO PLAYING IN THE RESTROOMS IS ALLOWED NO MATTER THE AGE, SEND THEM TO THE SANCTUARY.
DURING AN ALTER CALL NO CHILDREN UNDER THE AGE OF 12 ARE ALLOWED OUT EXCEPT FOR A VISITING FAMILY AND THEY SHOULD BE TOLD AFTER ONE TIME.
RUNNING UP THE RAMP
GET THEIR ATTENTION AND TELL THEM TO GO BACK UP AND WALK DOWN
(The original source of the above material is unknown.)
Christian Information Network