The Bible clearly teaches Pre-Millennialism which is in sharp contrast to two errors which have crept into the church world: Post-Millennialism and A-Millennialism. The first of these two errors, Post-Millennialism, teaches that the church will prosper and grow until the world shall be converted, bringing in the millennium, and then, afterwards, Jesus shall return.
By Ralph Vincent Reynolds
- The Second Coming of Jesus Is Clearly Promised In God’s Word
- Statement of Scripture
- Job 19:25—”For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth.”
- John 14:3—”. . .I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.”
- Acts 1:11—”This same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven.”
- 1 Thessalonians 4:16—”For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout…”
- Statement of Truth
The promise of the Lord’s return to earth is repeated in the Scriptures over and over again, until there can be no possible mistake concerning this glorious promise.
- Exposition of Truth
The doctrine of the second coming of Christ is one of the most important doctrines of the Bible. The greater number of predictions concerning Christ in the Old Testament are referring to His second coming. It is claimed that the second coming is mentioned in the Bible 6 to 8 times as often as the first coming. Paul refers to it at least 50 times in his Epistles. It is said that it is mentioned 318 times in the 260 chapters of the New Testament. In the Bible, whole chapters are devoted to this doctrine.
It would not be practical to attempt to list the many Scriptures that bring out the promise of Christ’s second coming. Just a few of these Scriptures will be mentioned here to show the clear testimony of prophecy in this regard from Genesis to Revelation.
- Jacob’s Prophecy (Genesis 49:10): Both advents of Christ are mentioned here in Jacob’s prophecy. The Second Advent is mentioned in the “gathering of the people” to Him.
- Job’s Prophecy (Job 19:25): Job states that the appearance of Christ upon earth is definitely associated with the resurrection.
- Zechariah’s Prophecy (Zechariah 14:4): Here we are told that Jesus shall return to the Mount of Olives.
- The Promise Of Jesus (John 14:3; Revelation 22:7, 12, 20): Jesus makes a very definite promise of returning and receiving his children unto himself.
- The Promise Given By Two Angels (Acts 1:11): What should man need more than a promise brought by two messengers from heaven?