By Martyn Ballestero Sr.
“Unto the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write; These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God; I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot. So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth. Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked: I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see. As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent. Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me” (Revelation 3:14-20).
How do you know if you’re lukewarm?
- when the story of Calvary doesn’t make you cry
- when sin doesn’t bother you
- when you find it comfortable to miss church services
- when your prayer life is non-existent or empty
- when you leave your only Bible at church
- when tithing is a sacrifice for you
- when worship is an effort
- when saying amen to the preaching is uncomfortable
- when you seek God only when you are in desperate need
- when you no longer witness
- when you look for loopholes in your church’s standards
- when you love pleasure more than you love God
- when your giving is from your leftovers and not your firstfruits
- when you want to miss Hell, but not enough to change how you live
- when you are worried more about man’s approval than God’s approval
- when you feel no inward response to preaching
- when criticizing your pastor, the church, and holiness comes easy
- when Satan doesn’t bother fighting you
- when you no longer weep over lost souls
- when thoughts of the coming of the Lord don’t excite you
Are you lukewarm?