Sample Job Description- Assistant Pastor
To assist the pastor in any way necessary in the work of the church to and in some of the necessary duties of the church with the ultimate purpose of edifying the saints and seeing souls won for the Kingdom. Your primary focus would be to help with the administrative tasks of the church, hospital visits, and to assist in the preaching and leading of services. In helping in these areas your focus would be having the heart of a servant and being an example of a Godly man in helping to lead our church today and into the future.
1. Must be filled with the Holy Ghost.
2. Must meet the qualifications for church membership.
3. Must be licensed or working towards a license with the United Pentecostal Church International.
4. Must be willing to submit yourself to the authority of the pastor.
5. Must be faithful and desire to work wholeheartedly for the Kingdom.
6. Must present leadership qualities and excellence in all work that is performed.
7. Must carry a burden for the church and the community.
8. Must be willing to work hand-in-hand with others.
9. Must feel a calling to pulpit ministry.
10. Must understand/be willing to learn the workings of the church and its departments.
* To fulfill all required responsibilities quickly, be dedicated to and love the work of the church.
* To serve as chairman on the prospective property committee, this will present a report of findings to the pastor at the monthly leadership counsel.
* To aid the pastor in ideas for fundraising for the building fund i.e.:
o Annual Golf Outing
o Bake Sales
o Christmas Events
* To be in every pre-service meeting in the pastors office 45 minutes before the start of service.
o You will be expected to have a printed out agenda of the evening service including:
* List of worship choruses from the music director
* Special Songs
o The order of service will then be decided by the pastor.
o The meeting will last approximately 10 minutes, after which every leader and person involved in service will join the saints for prayer in the prayer room.
* To run errands daily for the church i.e., supplies, lunch, visitor follow-up visits, hospital visits, home visits to the elderly unable to attend services due to health.
* To be present at the weekly city church pastor gatherings with the pastor at 10:00 on Thursday mornings.
* To teach one Sunday morning, preach one Sunday evening and one Wednesday Bible Study every 2 months.
* To teach at least 1 Home Bible Study every week.
* To attend all sectional rallies.
* To attend and vote at District and General Conferences.
* To aid department heads in any way possible. Helping them being creative, and helping to ensure that their monthly report is turned in on time.
* To write a two column entry in the church monthly bulletin once every six months.
* To turn in a monthly report to the pastor by the first Sunday of the next month.
* To take care of church operations and services in the event of the Pastor’s absence.
* To inform the pastor directly if you are not coming into the office one day during the week.
* To keep track of your hours every week at the office. Being sure to put in at least 36 hours every week in work specifically dealing with the church.
* To be an example in your relationship with Christ to the entire congregation by being faithful in tithe and offering, prayer and fasting, Bible Study, and Church Attendance.
* You may preach out at another church 1-2 times a month as long you still are able to prepare the agenda for the Sunday services at home and have them ready and on the Pastor’s desk by Sunday, and the Pastor is not going to be out at the same time.
* To perform additional duties as required.
The role of Assistant Pastor is vital in the Church. You are responsible directly to the Pastor and will work very closely with him. Each year you and the Pastor will review this Job description and update and improve it as needed. You are accountable to the pastor and will report to him monthly in the evaluation as well as working hand-in-hand with him on a regular basis. You will also work closely with other departments. Especially home bible study, visitor follow-up, and the hospital visit team. The term of this position is one year.
Training and Development
* Read any required material to attain Local License with the UPCI.
* Read “Let My People Grow” by Tim Massengale
* Read the Bible through in one year.
* Read any other books provided by pastor.
* Attend minister conferences if possible.
Job Goals for 2006
* Complete 6 home bible studies.
* Locate and begin purchasing property for new building.
* Plan and organize 4 fundraiser’s (one every quarter).
* Raise at least $10,000 (approx. $2500 per fundraiser) towards building fund through various fundraisers.
* Find a solution to improve lack of seating in sanctuary to help get through until the completion of the new building.
This is to hereby certify that I ___________________________ understand the terms of this position at New Life Apostolic, and will do everything in my power to fulfill all the tasks that are required of me. I understand that this is the service of the Lord and my purpose is to impact and better the life of saint and sinner alike.
I also certify that Pastor Wellman and I thoroughly discussed the terms of this position fully.
Pastor Signature __________________________________________ Date__________________
This article “Sample Job Description Assistant Pastor” was personally submitted by Mitch Wellman. May 2005. It may be used for study & research purposes only.