SUNDAY SCHOOL SECRETARY
SIS. SHARI HUYNH
WHITEHAVEN UNITED PENTECOSTAL CHURCH
The primary purpose of the Sunday School Secretary is to coordinate all the office activities of the Sunday School, while maintaining a Christian spirit within all her duties. Main focus shall be upon effective office procedures, typing, filing, and other related duties. By doing this, the Sunday School Secretary becomes an extension of our churches ministry to a lost and hungry world.
1. Must be filled with the Holy Ghost.
2. Must meet the qualifications for church membership.
3. Must be loyal to the S.S. Director/Pastor.
4. Must be willing to work in harmony with others.
5. Must carry a burden for the Secretarial Ministry.
6. Must desire quality and perfection of work.
7. Must be faithful and dependable in accomplishing duties.
8. Must have a knowledge of basic secretarial skills.
9. Must have a good understanding of the Sunday School organization system.
* Shall oversee and supervise all operations of the Sunday School office under the direction of the S.S. Director. Shall seek to fulfill all responsibilities with tact, zeal, dedication, and love.
* Shall receive all S.S. staff with kindness and tact.
* Shall perform general office work which shall include: typing, filing, copying, mailing, etc.
* Shall place primary emphasis upon all S.S. Director’s requests for various office work and duties. All requests by S.S. Teachers or others shall be secondary.
* Shall keep accurate, up-to-date records of all S.S. teachers, classes, and students.
* Shall be responsible for recording the weekly S.S. Report of all S.S. Classes and giving a copy to Pastor.
* Shall send out absentee cards from S.S. Classes. To be completed by S.S. Teacher and turned into office at end of class on Sunday morning.
* Shall give monthly Student Absentee Record Form to all S.S. Teachers.
* Shall make sure all S.S. Teachers “Aim for Excellence” forms and class record books are completed and placed in mail boxes after Sunday morning service.
* Shall work with the S.S. Director to insure that all S.S. Teachers have and up-to-date Job Description and custom designed “Aim For Excellence” form. (See Sample)
a. Shall collect from each S.S.Teacher and keep on file all “Aim for Excellence” forms at month end.
* Shall give monthly report to S.S. Director of all S.S. Teacher “Aim For Excellence” totals. (See Sample)
* Shall maintain the S.S. Calendar of activities, coordinating all activities with the Director and insuring that no church activities conflict. Any changes in activities or events are to be reported to
* Shall make note of any directives or assignments to S.S. Teachers at weekly Prayer/Staff meeting and quarterly Teachers Meetings and type list for S.S. Director.
* Shall be responsible to obtain list of students being promoted from all classes each quarter and type certificates.
* Shall be responsible for collecting Sunday School Literature orders from all S.S. Teachers each quarter.
* Shall make sure all supplies are well stocked at all times – postcards,. attendance record books, promotion certificates, etc. Notify S.S. Director when stock should be reordered.
* Shall attend and help in planning annual Sunday School Staff Banquet toward the end of each curriculum year. This is to include various awards and the giving of a “Teacher of the Year” and “Bus Worker Of The Year” plaques.
* Shall work with the S.S. Director to select an assistant to assist you in all of your Sunday School secretarial duties and to fill-in when you are absent.
* Shall be an example to the church in faithfulness by attending all church services and special functions.
* Shall be an example to the church in soulwinning by being continually involved in some form of outreach ministry.
* Shall be an example to the church in spiritual growth by coming at least one-half hour before each service to pray.
* Shall endeavor to not schedule any church activities on Monday night. Monday will be known as “Family Night” and all church members are encouraged to stay home with their families on this night.
* Shall attend all Sunday morning Prayer/Staff Meetings and take attendance of all S.S. Teachers present. Meeting begins at 9:30 a.m.
* Shall attend all Quarterly S.S. Teachers Meetings, taking attendance and keeping notes.
* If unable to attend because of an emergency, shall inform the S.S. Director in advance and endeavor to have a substitute attend in your place.
* Shall hand in a monthly report to S.S. Director of total class students, absentees, visitors, and offering. (See Sample)
* Shall perform additional duties as required.
* All church keys, binders, and related materials loaned to you during the term of your duties must be returned upon leaving your position.
* Shall maintain oversight and supervision of facilities and furnishings in your area.
* Shall be responsible for the security of areas under your care including access to locked rooms and use of office equipment.
* Shall conduct one’s self everywhere as becometh a Christian.
* Shall cleanse one’s self from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God. (I Corinthians 7:1).. Tobacco in any form, movies, dancing, alcoholic beverages, and unclean
conversations are considered unbecoming to a Christian.
* Shall endeavor to manifest a spirit of brotherly love and fellowship toward all God’s people.
* Shall avoid all ungodly and worldly amusements (all amusements and recreations are not harmful), that one may be blameless and harmless amidst an evil generation; and thus bring no reproach upon the Name of Christ.
* The dress and conduct of staff members shall be in harmony with the church standards and Christian ethics. Slacks, shorts, low-cut necklines, and other unbecoming apparel shall not be permitted. (Girls will be allowed to wear culottes.)
* Jewelry such as necklaces, bracelets, earrings, etc., shall not be permitted.
a. Ladies hair shall not be cut, trimmed, feathered, dyed, etc., in order to be a member of the Sunday School Staff.
b. Men’s hair shall be cut properly and not laying over collar, etc. Also face must be clean shaven.
* Makeup such as eye shadow, mascara, lipstick, fingernail polish, blush, etc., shall not be worn by any staff member.
The S.S. Secretary is responsible to the S.S. Director/ Pastor. Each year, the S.S. Director/Pastor and S.S. secretary will review this Job Description, update and improve to make more applicable to the position. Accountability shall consist of a monthly report of all activities and upcoming events, as well as 5.5. records.
The S.S. secretary is to work closely with all 5.5. Teachers assisting them as needed. Evaluation of performance of this position shall be performed by the Pastor on an annual basis.
The term of this office shall be for one year.
Training and Development
* Read “How You Can Succeed As A_ Christian Secretary” by Jean Hansens (Sword of the Lord)
* Read “Church Office Handbook” by Betty Powers and E. Jane Mall (Judson Press, 1983)
* Read additional books provided by the S.S. Director.
Job Goals for the year of 1991
* Begin keeping a master calendar of all S.S. Activities.
** Collect and begin sending all absentee cards.
** Collect list of students being promoted, and type certificates.
* Collect S.S. Literature order from teachers quarterly.
** “Aim For Excellence” forms are ready to be given to all S.S. Teachers on first Sunday of month.
* Begin all related Sunday School duties as described.
* Help plan and attend annual Sunday School Staff Banquet.
The above material was organized by Whitehaven United Pentecostal Church. This material may be copyrighted and should be used for study and research purposes only.